Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Canon announces the 5D Mark IV (and two lenses)

My 5D MKIV has shipped today from B&H

Ironically I also found a really great deal on a used 5DSr

Oh no.........

Both????

I have the 5DSr in hand (as a trial) but just now got to try it and it's getting dark outside

This image is 1410 X 2004 pixels ..... it was cropped from the full frame image that was 8688 X 5792 pixels .... and it was shot at ISO 1600 from about 30 feet with 500mm + 1.4 TC

What do you think of the retained detail and noise? (no noise reduction applied in post except DPP defaults)

Seems dang good to me .... probably even better in good light ..... for birds this might be difficult to pass on this deal even though the timing is bad
    Last edited by Joel Eade; 09-09-2016 at 11:24 AM.

5D MKIV is here.....

It has a nice solid feel to it, the shutter is very quiet compared to 1DX and the LCD is very nice .... that is all so far

My plan is to post several RAW images for download on my web site .... some low ISO high dynamic range scenes to see how shadows can be recovered and also some high ISO images

So if you want to the RAW images can be obtained and each person can se what they think.....does that sound good?

Anything else you would like to see?

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    I have the 5DSr in hand (as a trial) but just now got to try it and it's getting dark outside

This image is 1410 X 2004 pixels ..... it was cropped from the full frame image that was 8688 X 5792 pixels .... and it was shot at ISO 1600 from about 30 feet with 500mm + 1.4 TC

What do you think of the retained detail and noise? (no noise reduction applied in post except DPP defaults)

Seems dang good to me .... probably even better in good light ..... for birds this might be difficult to pass on this deal even though the timing is bad
    I was pleasantly surprised with the files of my 5DS R. The noise control, sharpening latitude, shadow latitude, and over all color and contrast of the images where better than I expected. I thought there would be an improvement, but not as much as I saw (especially coming from a 1DX). And I was also a little surprised you did not have one. Although, I can see were all AF points being good to f/8 on the 5D IV would be very helpful for you, and the slight PP focus shifting ability in your type of shooting may come in handy.

I think the 5DS R is a really good camera that is down played by many. It is an over achiever that is pegged as only good for landscape, large print, and higher end studio work. I think there is more to this camera. The ability to crop heavily is a plus, but the ability to crop moderately to achieve a good composition is a big plus when coming from a 1DX perspective. Cropping an 18MP image even moderately would significantly reduce the file size to limit print sizes too much... I think your 5D IV will also address this concern.

Enjoy your new cameras, and I hope the 5D IV turns out to be an excellent camera as well.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

This is a link to a set of RAW images from the 5D MKIV using the Canon 24-70mm Version II

Note: these are free to download and use for anyone who wants an idea of what the image files are like for this camera but you will need to upgrade your converter and editor to the latest version in order to open and process them.

http://www.zenfolio.com/joeleadephot.../p49483757/raw

I hope this is helpful

Hi Joel...I am not sure about others, but it asks me for a password when I click the link.

Overall, I am not sure it is even necessary. That ISO 8000 image you posted in the "Current" thread is impressive.

Look forward to hearing your impressions.

I did not intend to lock that gallery....I went back and reset the access parameters this morning.

I thought folks might want to process an image or two just to see how they react.