Thread: Kauai Suggestions

Kauai Suggestions

I am heading to Kauai in a couple of weeks. Looking for suggestions on where to shoot. I'm taking my Canon 6D, 24-105 f4 lens, 70-200 f4 lens, and nifty 50 mm f1.8 lens. Tripod too

Ha. Have you been to Paradise before? Love Kaua'i.

Last time I was there I was still using a film FF camera and a digital P&S. That just tells me I need to go back.

This may be a bit of an odd tip, but when I first went, day 1 we did a "movie" tour. Great way to be introduced to the island. Among movies filmed here, South Pacific, all the Jurassic Park movies, several Elvis Presley movies, several with John Wayne, etc. etc.

Sunsets at Ke'e beach.
    Pretty much all of Hanalei (where South Pacific was filmed). But, in particular, the dock, Tao fields, and mtns.
    Sunsets, sunrises and birds at kilauea light house.
    Snorkel at Tunnels beach.
    Wailua falls
    Waipoo falls
    Kamala Point (and nearby beach)
    Waimea canyon.
    Na Pali coast (hike from Ke'e or boat trip)
    Poipu beach (chill, have a drink, snap a pic)
    McBryde National Botanical Gardens.

Been there twice. Let me know if you would like some more tips.

The Ultimate Kauai guidebook is worth the money, although if you stay at a private home/condo, they will likely have that on the bookshelf.
    Do some type of tour right off the bat, it will give you a chance to see all the cool touristy places and a few other places people miss.

When I come to Kauai, I usually do a drive of the island (from Ke'e to Polihale Beach) to see what might have changed, then divide the island up for the remaining days. The drive end to end isn't a long one (80 miles), but expect it to take 2 1/2 hours minimum, as there always seems to have construction.

If you want to know the favorite local spots, get to know a local (bring beer or Malasada donuts) at one of the beaches (my favorite beach to meet a local was off Niu St in Kapaa) in the evening. You will be more likely to see locals enjoying the weekends at Anahola Beach; that is one of my favorite beaches. If you are Christian, visit one of the local churches on Sunday, lots of local tips will be given out and you might even get invited to lunch at someone's house.

Been there 4 times, twice in 2013. Stayed in condos and houses, never a hotel. And it truly is Paradise!
    ---
    Way too much gear and even more lighting equipment.

Some great tips so far. As said, Kaua'i is paradise...you really can't go wrong here.

Some particular places we liked: Hanalei beach, Kilauea Lighthouse, Wailua Falls, Trip to "Fern Grotto" (Boat trip up the Wailua River), Waimea Canyon (Grand Canyon of the Pacific), Poipu Beach (nearby "Baby Beach" is great for smaller kids and the "Spouting Horn" Park is also close-by). The Na Pali coast is supposed to be amazing too, but we were there with our son before he turned one and the boat trip is apparently long and can be rough (for an infant anyway) so we skipped that (next time...).

Bryan has a good image gallery of Hawaii with some shots of Kaua'i (Na Pali Coast, Waimea Canyon, etc). Bryan's Gallery is here: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/G...x?GalleryID=34

Have a great trip!

Thank you. We have planned for a helicopter ride into the canyons, going to queens bath, and are planning a boat trip along the Na Pali coast. I did review Brian's images. They are my ideal scenario.