Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5DS R Resolving power

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    The 5D IV may gain on the weather sealing, but with the small battery I would bet it is still gimped on speed and tracking vs the 1 series bodies.
    I would totally agree with your assumption here but (I think?) the MKIV would beat the 5DS R. You know, however, 99% of my images are from my setup in the yard and they are mostly static so I suspect any of these camera bodies would more than suffice. I will certainly post some bird images from the 5DMKIV and the 5DS R in the near future

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Unless all of Joel's posed bird pictures start coming from the 5D IV I think my next purchase will be to upgrade my 1D IV to the 1Dx II.
    Watching his future posts for guidance

At this point though the 5D IV seems to be too much of a compromise. I still occasionally use the 1D IV over the 5Ds R when I need weather sealing, speed or tracking. The 5D IV may gain on the weather sealing, but with the small battery I would bet it is still gimped on speed and tracking vs the 1 series bodies.
    I would expect that the 5d4 would not match the 1dx2 in speed or tracking. It if did, would anyone need the 1dx2?

I agree with what you are saying and there isn't one camera that's perfectly tailored to every situation. The 1dx2 is the closest to do so though.

I would agree that the 1DXII of course is the ultimate for action photography and is slightly better at high ISO but if you can tolerate some compromise you will get a great camera in the 5D MKIV for about half the price and there are some features that are not available on the 1DXII. IMHO the jury is still out on the AF system for moving subjects....I have not seen anything on the net about it and I have not yet tried it.

It's sort of funny - I remember back in the late 70's when I was in college and becoming an avid shutterbug, picking up a photography magazine that was showing off the incredible resolving power of Zeiss lenses on a large format camera. The subject? Butterfly wings. Wow! You can actually see the scales! As I recall the lens in question was about the price of a starter home. Fast forward 40 years and now this stuff is in our hands?

I just picked up a 5Ds R (couldn't resist the price), and am so far quite impressed. I have a lot of learning and relearning to do though. Thanks for sharing!