Thread: Going for 30th Birthday, 80D & 1.4xIII & Thanks to TDP

Going for 30th Birthday, 80D & 1.4xIII & Thanks to TDP

Hello everyone,

next 11th of November i will celebrate my 30th Birthday!

Two years ago i started "living" TDP website & community, buying my first "personal" reflex, the 60D (i used the 600D for 3-4 years, but it was not mine, thanks dad ) and save after save, after "consulting" here on TDP, until my last big purchase, the 100-400 IS II.

That 60D choice was and is actually perfect for me, and the reflex is around 35-40k shoots for now.

Is not time for "her" to retire, but now after two years of practicing, studying & shooting a lot (as a passion, not a profession) i was looking for some improvements.

I studied the reviews & comparison on TDP between 7DMarkII & 80D and choosed this last one. For what i'm searching in a new camera, 80D is perfect, 7DMarkII is exceptional in some context but maybe too much for what i was searching for.

Moreover, the local little store where i buy my equipment is going for the €100 cashback on 80D... with the 350-400€ + 100€ cashback saved on the reflex body - i will probably buy the Extender 1.4xIII!

If anyone has something to say about 80D, impressions, tests or something more personal as a plus over the TDP review i'm here to listen.

For the rest, thanks everyone in this community, from the website to the community.

Really a nice place to discuss, share and improve on photography, as it has happened with me.

Thanks again.

Andrea
    Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

Jamsus

I can only say I'm jealous because about 4 months ago I had my 60th

Congrats!!

I am jealous as well. At 30 I had to many little ones to feed and couldn't afford an expensive camera.

The 80D sounds like a fairly priced present for your 30th.

Hey hey....happy belated birthdays to both Andrea and Joel!!

As for the 7DII vs 80D, I probably would have made the same choice. I think the 7DII would be all about AF, fps, and weathersealing...things that you would want for wildlife photography.

The 80D has a newer sensor and better low ISO performance that I suspect will benefit portrait and landscape photography. Neither is a slouch in any department, but given what you tend to post, I think you chose well.

Happy birthdays to both Andrea and Joel!

I would love to hear about your experience with the 80D.

My grandchildren (yep, I am a few years older than Joel) will soon reach the age of school plays and sporting events. Videos will be needed, not just stills.

Rather than upgrading from 5D III to 5D IV I am strongly considering adding an 80D as the main "social" camera. The tilt-swivel screen and reportedly good focus tracking for the 80D are big attractions compared to video from the 5D III. The cost will be considerably less than a 5D IV. I kept several EF-S lenses when I went full-frame, so the 80D seems to suit better than an M5.

Although family videos will become more important, I would still want the "social" camera to have good quality stills, rather than taking two cameras to such events.

I expect Santa Claus to bring me whichever upgrade seems the best, so there is time for Andrea to get well acquainted with the 80D before then.

Thanks everyone!

I will for sure give you a feedback about 80D, mainly because the cashback is active until half of October so i will probably have to take the camera before November !

Jamsus

Happy birthday Andrea !

The 60D certainly helped you get a lot of great pictures. I'm looking forward to seeing what you will do with the 80D.

Well I've been impressed with the 70D, it's met most of my needs for general photography. It has let me down a few times but that's mainly been the autofocus system which I've pushed beyond its capabilities. With the 80D, looks like the autofocus system has been improved and it keeps all the features that made the 70D a great camera.

Well, today i've test a bit everything.

80D, 100-400 + Extender.

Very fast & precise autofocus, a lot harder to keep the image still but i can work on it!

ISO & Shadow recovery performances... impressive!

Squirrel, Tuscany by Andrea Magnelli, su Flickr

Jamsus