Thread: Travel Accessories

Travel Accessories

In March I head to Iceland & Scotland for a 8 day trip. Airfare was dirt cheap for March & April, so I figured why not?

Beyond the camera & lens combo, I will bring a Canon 430 EX3-RT speedlight, gloves (Aquatech), rain covers (I have been in Scotland twice in November, the rain is usually horizontal), a smaller pack, hand warmers, cleaning supplies and several variable ND filters.

Is there anything I am missing photography wise?
    A friend has a small travel tripod (MeFoto) I could bring, though I want to travel light, is there a smaller option that works well?

Clothing wise I am set with long johns, snow boots, jackets etc.

Thanks!
    ---
    Way too much gear and even more lighting equipment.

Sounds like a great trip! Besides the ND filters, I'm presuming you have polarizers too? I wouldn't cut corners on the tripod... there's nothing more frustrating than dealing with an obstinate or wobbly tripod when the weather isn't optimum. And is the camera weather sealed? Even with a rain cover, you can fry it pretty easily. But it sounds like you have good experience with that already. By the way I'm keen to know which rain cover you prefer! I have the Think Tank for my 500 mm lens and it works very well. And do you like those Aquatech gloves?

You are probably looking for rain / cold weather suggestions, but here are a few obvious ones missing.

Memory, 8 days worth.
    Extra Batteries.
    Certain airlines limit the number of spare batteries you can carry on to the plane ..... so...
    Battery Charger and adapter (if necessary).
    Secondary backup and small laptop.
    I wouldn't go anywhere without a CP.

Don't know your gear list but...a back up camera body would be nice. ( you may already have two )

Maybe an external HD as a backup storage device to your laptop.

I am excited for the trip, wishing I could go now instead of in March. In 2007, I spent 9 weeks traveling across Europe in the fall with just a Rebel XTi & the Canon 28-135 lens, so I think my current camera (6D) and lenses (Canon 24-105 v2 & a 70-200 zoom) should be sufficient. I am not sure what rain cover I have, but I bought it to handle a 200-500mm lens. I honestly haven’t used it since, preferring to use those cheapie rain covers (or a plastic bag in a pinch), though I will pull it out and see if it works for my needs.

I want to travel as light as possible, so the MeFoto tripod it is! I just ordered the Aquatech gloves, so I should know in a few days. I must have 6 pairs of gloves that I don’t like because I don’t have enough tactile sensation, so I am hoping these aren’t added to the stack.

I have a polarizer for the 70-200 (77mm) so I expect it to work on the 24-105 too.

Thanks for reminding me about batteries and memory cards. I have plenty of both, but I do need to check the airlines requirements. Yes, an adapter, I found the most amazing adapter in Switzerland 9 years ago, hope I still have it.

I am looking at carrying a hyperdrive instead of a laptop. A laptop means weight & work, neither of which I want on vacation. If I have to post something on the web, I can transfer from either camera to my phone.

Thanks again!
    ---
    Way too much gear and even more lighting equipment.