Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sigma 85 f/1.4 Art

Sigma 85 f/1.4 Art

First review has come in. It is big, it is heavy, it has an 86 mm front thread (like I want more filters) but this may be a thing of beauty....

from lenstip:

I imagine Zeiss must gnash their collective teeth quite strongly. They invented the Otus series which was supposed to prove that, for a quite astronomical price, you can produce an optically outstanding lens practically without any flaws. Meanwhile Sigma presented their 85 mm device which is not only able to win a duel with the Otus 1.4/85 in the most important categories but also breaks the resolution record of the Otus 1.4/28 on the sensor of the Canon EOS 5D Mark III. Mind you it is over three times cheaper. Nothing to add I suppose – a fully deserved the Lenstip Editor’s Choice award.

I love my 50A. I was very impressed with my 35A (since sold). I really wish this was somewhere between 100-135 mm. I probably would be unable to resist it. At 85 mm, it is awfully close to my 50 mm. But this is the most tempted I have been in awhile.....and my photography budget is in very good shape.

Tempting....

Of course, I will wait for other reviews, in particular Bryan's.....but the 24-70 II and 70-200 II are so good, primes really need to set themselves apart, IMO. This seems to do just that.

Hang in there Brant!!! Fight the GAS, come on man you can do it!!!!

I agree that Primes have to be that special thing. I think it is at least aperture 50% and resolution might be 25% with the mystical bokeh the other 25%. 2 stops from yours and 3 from mine. That is a major expansion of the envelope.

No doubt Sigma has been putting pressure on the market.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Haha!

Yeah, I'll be ok. I'll admit to checking out the page on B&H but never came close to clicking "buy" or "pre-order" in this case. My apparent GAS antidote is the pragmatic test.....for what I currently shoot, what shot will I be able to get with "x" that I cannot get with my current kit?

.....and...crickets.....

This is what has kept me on the sidelines for a lot of gear. M5 or G7X II...tempted, but really the M1 and iPhone (even though, I do not like the IQ whenever I take the time to really look at it) really do have me covered (still might get one this winter). Sigma 20A....if I did more astro, maybe. 100-400 II. Beautiful lens. Love all the stories about IQ and build quality. But not enough reach on one hand and size/weight compared to the 70-300 L (which has really impressed me) when I am traveling "light."

Maybe, but my guess is I will be on the sidelines. Would love seeing images if someone here does have a use for it.

100-400 II is a masterpiece

I got more sharp images using it at 400mm cropped than with a 150-600 Tamron at 600mm
    Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

Jamsus

I hope Bryan gets a review of the 85 Art in time for Christmas. This lens is really tempting and the few reviews out so far seem promising. I personally look at Bryan's as one of the perhaps 2 "gold standard" reviews, though, so I am waiting to see. I think this lens is the one people have been waiting for since Sigma surprised everyone with the first 35mm Art lens. "When will they do an 85mm Art?" has been said a few million times I think.
    Canon 6D, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art"; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro; Canon 24-105 f/4 L ; Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (unused nowadays), EF 85 f/1.8; Canon 1.4x TC Mk. 3; 3x Phottix Mitros+ flashes

What's going to happen to the Canon 85 f/1.2 L? The Sigma cost $600-700 less.

If it follows their response to the success of the Sigma Art 35mm, we'll see a new Canon in 6-12 months with improved optics, and autofocus, but the price difference will jump to $1000.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

The rumor is that Canon will be releasing a EF 85 f/1.4 L IS. I am sure there will be those that will hate losing the f/1.2 and then those that will love having IS. If it is optically similar to the EF 35 f/1.4 II, then it will be a real winner. Although I do agree with David, a real winner starting at ~$2,100.

I actually would love to see some more comparison examples of bokeh between the current 85 mm offerings against the Sigma. There is no doubt it is sharp (vs Canon vs Ziess).

I don't know about you guys but to my eyes I can't differentiate between f/1.2 and f/1.4 on my 85 f/1.2. That being said I shoot that lens exclusively at f/1.2 and the results are spectacular (if I nail the focus)

Kayaker, 85 f/1.4 L IS, I like that idea, just hope that the AF is much faster than the 85 f/1.2 L II
    Last edited by Sinh Nhut Nguyen; 12-16-2016 at 04:01 PM.

Glad to see that both Brant and I were both wrong on the price of Canon's response! Between the two companies you now can choose a fantastic 85mm lens with or without IS.

I think the price difference is small enough that many people will choose to go for the Canon w/ IS, which is bad news for Sigma. Hopefully it doesn't discourage them from making more awesome and relatively affordable lenses.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L