Thread: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM Version One

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM Version One

Hello everyone, I need your advice on this.
    Recently I started to hear clicking/ticking noise coming from my 10 yrs old 24-70 f/2.8 version one. This clicking/ticking noise happens when I zoom from 70 to 50mm. It would happen once every 3-4 times when I zoom from 70-50. I also notice that when I take out my camera after a long period of unuse the clicking/ticking sound would be a lot louder and it happens when I zoom from 50-35mm. After that it would happen once every 3-4 times when zooming from 70-50. I searched online and found that many people who bought the version two in 2013 also experienced the clicking/ticking sound when zooming. The difference is some of the version 2's clicking/ticking sound happens out of the box, mine happens after almost 10 years of using. I have no idea what's happening here, should I send the lens in? The lens is sharp, focus is accurate and zooming is smooth. It's the noise that concerns me. Do you experience this clicking/ticking sound with any of your Canon zoom lens?
    Thank you in advance for your answer! Nate

Welcome back...haven't seen you post here in a long while....

Not sure if this is specifically related to your issue, but it should like it could be similar. Check out this blog post from Roger at lens rentals: https://wordpress.lensrentals.com/bl...-of-variation/

Specifically he talks about issues with the 24-70 2.8 (first version) about halfway through the article (there is a heading for "The 27-70 Mystery").

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for the article, I'm dropping off my 24-70 to Canon tomorrow. I will update you guys when I get it back.

*Update*

I brought my 24-70 f/2.8L to Canon Service Center in Costa Mesa last Friday. I was told that the cable in the power diaphragm assembly over time would get loosened and stretched, the clicking noise is the result of this cable rubbing against other parts when zooming. The total cost is $244 including a new power diaphragm unit and 6-month warranty. I was also told that Canon will stop servicing this lens in January 2019.

Canon Service Center is a very nice place, they have the whole Canon lens lineup there on display, man it was my first time seeing the EF 11-24mm f/4L USM, that thing is humongous!

Interesting...I never knew you could actually visit a canon service centre. I always assumed they were mail only. Thanks for the update, good to hear your lens is back in action.

Quote Originally Posted by NFLD Stephen View Post
    Interesting...I never knew you could actually visit a canon service centre. I always assumed they were mail only.
    I took my 1D X in person to the Jamesburg, NJ service center for the shutter recall. I figured I'd drop it off and they'd ship it back to me in Boston, but they fixed it on the spot in under an hour, and cleaned the sensor, too.

Nothing much to look at, though...a couple of pictures on the wall of an otherwise plain, generic waiting area.

I live about 20 minutes from Canon Factory Service Center in Costa Mesa, CA (previously Irvine). The current location is much larger than the old one. They have camera bodies on display that you can play with.

Stephen, the repair is 5-7 days for the lens, hopefully I get it back before Christmas, or I'll be stuck without a general purpose lens ����

So I got my lens back from Canon just in time for Christmas. AF is definitely quieter, I no longer need to AF microadjust at 70 mm and only -3 at 24 mm.

Nate...great to hear. I have always been impressed with Canon service. Hope you enjoyed the holidays.