Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has the M-Series Arrived?

Has the M-Series Arrived?

I am curious as to people's thoughts?

The M5 is looking like a very nice little camera. I am still waiting on more reviews, but everything I've seen so far is encouraging. I am still waiting to see how good the EFm 18-150 is, but I am impressed that it is only 1 inch longer and 90 g heavier than my EFm 18-55. Then the EFm 28 mm f/3.5 macro seems to be a very nice lens.

Right now I still have the M1, EFm 18-55 and 22 f/2. But I just picked off the EFm 11-22 on a 15% refurbished sale. It is a bit odd, as I am not 100% sold on the M system, but I figure I can sell it for about the same as I just spent if I end up not liking it. That said, it does finally seem to be getting interesting. I've never had much of a problem with the IQ from my M1 as long as you can control ISO. Matter of fact, I've long thought it rivaled the IQ from my original 7D EFs 15-85 combo. My biggest issue is that I tend not to enjoy photographing with the M1. But I am wondering if the viewfinder from the M5 will change that. If it does, it might be nice to have a small, light weight, go anywhere kit.

At $979 for body only seems steep for this camera.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    That was my thought as well. I've considered the m-series very briefly as it would be nice to have a smaller more-portable camera system still with good image quality. But the price puts it out of range for me at the moment.

In the not-so-distant future, we should start seeing refurbished M5s in the Canon Store. At that point, the camera will be a more intriguing acquisition.

Quote Originally Posted by NFLD Stephen View Post
    That was my thought as well. I've considered the m-series very briefly as it would be nice to have a smaller more-portable camera system still with good image quality. But the price puts it out of range for me at the moment.
    Overall, I had a similar reaction. But looking at it, the feature set is similar to the T6s/80D and the price point is right between those two cameras. You are getting the 24 MP sensor with DPAF. I am assuming it is the same or very similar to the 80D which has been Canon's best performing APS-C sensor. But I do expect the price to drop after 6-12 months. Or, at least, start getting $100-$200 rebates.

A few other comparisons, the T6s, M5 and 80D are (respectively):
    • Price: $849 (after rebate), $979, and $1,099 (after rebate)
    • Low Light AF sensitivity (EV) -0.5, -1, and -3.
    • MP: 24, 24, and 24
    • Digic: 6, 7, and 6
    • FPS: 5, 9, and 7.
    • Weight: 565g, 422g, and 730g.
    • Size: 62.9 in3, 38.6 in3, and 70 in3.
    • Cross type AF points: 19, 49, and 45. Spread of the cross type AF points seems to favor the M5, granted, I still want to learn more about cross type AF points and how that works with DPAF (separate system or combined pixels?).

I haven't read about weather sealing. But a few online reviews have mentioned that it "feels sturdy" etc. But looking at some basic specs, it is smaller, lighter and similar to better specs.

I am only kicking this around out of general interest as a M1 owner and I think my "small" camera is something that I will try to address this winter.

But, more of what I was going after, is the M5 finally a mirrorless camera that will be interesting enough for a large number of people to build systems around? Something to recommend to friends, family or if a forum member asks about building a kit for less than $2k. Or would we still direct them to something else (Rebel, x0D)? I am waiting on more reviews, but, especially if the EF-m 18-150 is a good lens, I am starting to see a viable kit. For travel/walk around, I could see EF-m 11-22, 18-150 and 28 f/3.5 macro as a specialty lens.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 12-19-2016 at 07:40 PM.

I was actually considering the camera for the wife for christmas. It could replace the t4i she has been using. I thought it might be lighter.

t6i is 5.2 x 4.0 x 3.1 and 19.58 ounces
    5m is 4.6 x 3.5 x 2.4 and 15.1 ounces
    I am sure the lenses will be lighter but if we are traveling the wife could use the t6i on my longer lenses if she wants.

Since all Canon's current DSLR's have live mode, mirrorless as a selling point currently isn't that great IMO.

Edit: I remember why several members on the forum bought the M1. There was a fire sale and Canon was unloading them.
    Looks like the fire sale worked, it created a future market for expensive upgrades.
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 12-19-2016 at 08:40 PM.

Considering the specs, the camera is probably reasonably priced...my issue is that for me it would only be a backup camera as something to take when I needed to pack light. Which isn't often for me as I'll generally sacrifice other items to make the camera fit. So personally it is expensive for me to just have around for secondary use. For others I have no doubt it would be an intriguing option.

I saw an interesting comment the other day. Ten years ago, Canon made 5 bodies (2006-1Ds II, 1DIIn, 5D, 30D and Rebel XT/KISS/xx0D) that were ILC. When I started my dSLR photography, in 2010, Canon made 6 camera bodies (1Ds III, 1DIV, 5DII, 7D, 50/60D, and Rebel/KISS/xx0D) that had interchangeable lenses. Currently, Canon makes 14 camera ILC bodies (1DxII, 1DC, 5Ds, 5DsR, 5DIV, 6D, 80D, Rebel T6i, Rebel T6s, Rebel T6, SL1, M5, M3, and M10). This is even worse when you look at what is on their website as they still have the 1Dx, 5DIII, 70D, and T5s/I for sale. Then you include the 5 cameras with 1-1.5" sensors from the Gx series that started in 2012 with the 1.5" sensor in the GX1. I include these as they have the larger sensor than previous P&S that allows them to begin to rival APS-C in terms of IQ.

Classic marketing for a maturing market, flood it with options trying to cover every niche possible. But with more and more products, there is going to be less and less product differentiation.

I am going to wait and see how the M5 reviews. For me, it really needs some more interesting lenses. But if the EFm 18-150 tests well (asking a lot for an 8x zoom), then Canon might finally have something that would be very interesting, IMO, to build a kit around. As Rick referenced, it would be with lens that you really see the size/weight difference. For example, M5 + EFm 18-150 would be ~47 in3 (treating everything like a box) and 722 g while the T6i with the EFs 18-135 would be ~75 in3 and 990 g.

All my previous opinions about mirrorless still hold. I am in no rush to drop my 5D for something mirrorless. I am not even sure I see much benefit of the M5 over a theoretical SL2 if they had the same sensor (SL1 + EFs 18-135 would be 57 in3 and 850g). Matter of fact, I would likely prefer the fact that the SL1 doesn't need an adapter for my EF lenses. But, based on early feedback, I am thinking the M5 might finally be something I would recommend in certain situations. If anything, I expect it to replace the SL x series.

Quote Originally Posted by NFLD Stephen View Post
    Considering the specs, the camera is probably reasonably priced...my issue is that for me it would only be a backup camera as something to take when I needed to pack light. Which isn't often for me as I'll generally sacrifice other items to make the camera fit. So personally it is expensive for me to just have around for secondary use. For others I have no doubt it would be an intriguing option.
    That is about right for me as well. I did buy the M1 during a fire sale wanting a small camera. The primary issue with it is that it is not small enough. Right now I am comparing it to the Gx series. I want something that is either "pocketable" (G7X II or G9x) or something, if it is going to require more than a pocket, that is more useful than my current M1 kit. But in terms of uses, hiking, very light travel, or just to have something that I carry more often is what I am looking for out of a smaller camera. Otherwise, I am more than happy to pack along my 5DIII kit.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 12-20-2016 at 11:03 AM.

After a bit more research with the target audience, the wife wants it for Christmas, so it will be here tomorrow.

For her this was the most important thing:
    "Additionally, the camera sports built-in Wi-Fi with NFC for quick and convenient pairing with a smartphone or tablet for wireless image sharing, and Bluetooth is also featured for image sharing to and remote camera control from a mobile device."

For an entry level ILC in today's market this will probably be one of the biggest selling points.

After a bit more research with the target audience, the wife wants it for Christmas, so it will be here tomorrow.

For her this was the most important thing:
    "Additionally, the camera sports built-in Wi-Fi with NFC for quick and convenient pairing with a smartphone or tablet for wireless image sharing, and Bluetooth is also featured for image sharing to and remote camera control from a mobile device."

For an entry level ILC in today's market this will probably be one of the biggest selling points.

And it is always good to listen to your target audience.......

I am very curious to hear what you think.