Thread: Has the M-Series Arrived?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    So I am staying in the M ecosystem, but have gone a slightly different route. I bought the M3 and EVF when the combo had a $500 instant rebate. As the reviews of the M5 continue to come it, I would say it is a better camera. In particular, faster more accurate AF, the AF point selection on LCD screen while looking through EVF, and a few ergonomic features. However, looking at sensor performance, other than DR at ISO <400, the M5 and M3 were very similar and both better than my original EOS M "classic." The negatives about the M5 were really about size, weight, and cost. Basically, I wanted a small, light body for travel and non-photo oriented hiking, or a second body to have on me if I suddenly want a wide angle shot when I have a telephoto on my 5DIII. That was the original intent of the M, and it worked pretty well, but it was 4% of my 2016 shots for a reason. So, the M3 gives me a tilt screen, faster AF, ability to add an EVF when wanted, Wi-Fi, etc, while still being smallish, lightish, and fitting in my Dashpoint 30 (depending on lens). All for an expected investment of ~$350, ~$170 if you subtract the EVF, after I sell my M1.

As a new M body is rumored to be released in February, I suspect it will be a replacement for the M3 introducing DPAF and some of the features of the M5 into that smaller form factor without a built in EVF. I might eventually want this body, but it is tough to buy a camera that doesn't exist and I suspect that its price point will be $750-$850, just for the body, if it is ever released. In addition to having DPAF in a smaller form factor, the second feature that could really interest me is the ability to charge through the USB port, something on the G"x"X series cameras. It would be great to not travel with a battery charger.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 01-08-2017 at 11:28 PM.