Thread: Image stabilization and tall buildings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    I am not an IS expert, but how I would think it works:
    1. For Canon the IS system senses either 2 axis of rotation (pitch-yaw) or the newer IS systems have 3 axis of rotation (pitch-yaw-roll).
    Lens-based IS does not and cannot have correction for roll – the lens elements are round, rotating them would not change the image. Only sensor-based IS can correct for roll.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    I'll just add a 4.1 to Pat's list. Some lens have "automatic panning detection", so there is multi-mode IS, but it is not user selectable.
    Indeed. In fact, when the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS was updated to the MkII version (prior to the STM), the lenses were identical except for some cosmetic changes (labeling font, a silver ring made black, mount registration mark painted instead of embossed), and the addition of automatic panning detection to the IS system.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Lens-based IS does not and cannot have correction for roll – the lens elements are round, rotating them would not change the image. Only sensor-based IS can correct for roll.
    What you say makes sense, and I do not doubt you. I got that from and article I read when I was trying find out how many axis they actually sense, and I admit I did not think about their answer enough to question its accuracy.

Got the information from: http://www.brayebrookobservatory.org...OIS_M%26M.html
    Quoting:
    "The lens-based OIS designed by Canon initially compensated for pitch & yaw. Their latest OIS can in a few specific lenses also compensate for either roll (limited rotation - angle movement in pitch but also simultaneous side to side), pitch & yaw (Hybrid IS), or pitch, yaw & piston"

Thanks for setting the record straight.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    Got the information from: http://www.brayebrookobservatory.org...OIS_M%26M.html
    Quoting:
    "The lens-based OIS designed by Canon initially compensated for pitch & yaw. Their latest OIS can in a few specific lenses also compensate for either roll (limited rotation - angle movement in pitch but also simultaneous side to side), pitch & yaw (Hybrid IS), or pitch, yaw & piston"
    Reading over that article, it appears the author misconstrues the functions of Canon's Hybrid IS, or that they simply don't understand what 'roll' actually is...

Quoting:
    "During the summer 2009 Canon announced roll compensation in some of its forthcoming mid-range telephoto lenses."

That was the announcement of the EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, and Canon certainly did not say or even imply correction for roll. Hybrid IS adds correction for 'shake' (translational motion in the X and Y directions) to the typical corrections for angular motion (pitch and yaw).

The 5 axes are:

In a nutshell, sensor-based IS can correct up to all five, lens-based IS can correct up to four (excluding #5).