Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Image stabilization and tall buildings

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Lens-based IS does not and cannot have correction for roll – the lens elements are round, rotating them would not change the image. Only sensor-based IS can correct for roll.
    What you say makes sense, and I do not doubt you. I got that from and article I read when I was trying find out how many axis they actually sense, and I admit I did not think about their answer enough to question its accuracy.

Got the information from: http://www.brayebrookobservatory.org...OIS_M%26M.html
    Quoting:
    "The lens-based OIS designed by Canon initially compensated for pitch & yaw. Their latest OIS can in a few specific lenses also compensate for either roll (limited rotation - angle movement in pitch but also simultaneous side to side), pitch & yaw (Hybrid IS), or pitch, yaw & piston"

Thanks for setting the record straight.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    Got the information from: http://www.brayebrookobservatory.org...OIS_M%26M.html
    Quoting:
    "The lens-based OIS designed by Canon initially compensated for pitch & yaw. Their latest OIS can in a few specific lenses also compensate for either roll (limited rotation - angle movement in pitch but also simultaneous side to side), pitch & yaw (Hybrid IS), or pitch, yaw & piston"
    Reading over that article, it appears the author misconstrues the functions of Canon's Hybrid IS, or that they simply don't understand what 'roll' actually is...

Quoting:
    "During the summer 2009 Canon announced roll compensation in some of its forthcoming mid-range telephoto lenses."

That was the announcement of the EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, and Canon certainly did not say or even imply correction for roll. Hybrid IS adds correction for 'shake' (translational motion in the X and Y directions) to the typical corrections for angular motion (pitch and yaw).

The 5 axes are:

In a nutshell, sensor-based IS can correct up to all five, lens-based IS can correct up to four (excluding #5).

Just finished going through my night photography shots and nearly 90% of the shots taken with the Tamron 90 VC (F017) are unusable due to vibrations. When I would take a picture, Mirror lockup was engaged, 2 second timer, 3 image bracketing, and I would stand still all to minimize potential vibrations.

A sample crop is here (I couldn't seem to upload the file):
    http://hmm-photography.format.com/hidden
    ---
    Way too much gear and even more lighting equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Manofmayo66 View Post
    Just finished going through my night photography shots and nearly 90% of the shots taken with the Tamron 90 VC (F017) are unusable due to vibrations. When I would take a picture, Mirror lockup was engaged, 2 second timer, 3 image bracketing, and I would stand still all to minimize potential vibrations.
    Did you turn off VC?

Yep
    ---

I am heading back in a few weeks to the same hotel. Hopefully will get the same room location so I can shoot it again (and go back to that wonderful Chinese Restaurant again).
    ---