Thread: Monitor Calibration

Monitor Calibration

Hi Everyone,

Just looking to tap into the forums expertise and solicit thoughts.

So, as part of my winter system reorg, I purchased a new monitor. I selected the Benq sw2700pt. Not 4K, but higher res than FHD, 10 bit, had 99% AdobeRGB and we well reviewed.

I have it up and running (I am typing this on it right now). And, overall, I am very impressed. Great levels of control, pictures on screen almost look as good as prints, etc. But I have run into a single issue. It comes with its own calibration software. I have created a couple of profiles using that software and my Spyder5 calibration device. After calibration the Benq software lets you "Validate" the calibration. And my monitor keeps failing the validation step.

In looking at it, the validation test wants the average dE to be less than 2 and the maximum dE to be less than 4. I am new to this, but dE is explained here, it appears to be a measurement of color accuracy/reproduction. The lower the dE, the closer the Spyder5 is to measuring the color it expects.

The monitor came pre-calibrated and those values were avg dE = 0.45 and max dE = 1.97.

After my first calibrations, I was in the 6 and 9 range for each. But my most recent values, after making some adjustments in the "advanced" calibration setup, are avg dE = ~2.2 (right above "pass" threshold), and max dE = 3.4 (technically a pass, but higher than the factory calibration). Looking at online reviews, and most reviewers were able to achieve avg and max dE very similar to my monitors factory calibration values.

One thing I noticed was all the online reviewers used the x-rite i1 display pro where I have the Spyder5. In looking online, it does seem that the x-rite i1 is better, more consistent, more sensitive, and more accurate (example here).

So, my question to those that know more than I about this topic:
    • Do you think it is possible that my monitor is fine and the issue is the Spyder5?
    • Do you think I might need to return/replace my monitor?

And I am also aware, for the enthusiast photographer I am, this is probably still amazing. But right now my new toy prints a big red "Failed" when I try to validate my calibration and I would like to fix that.

By the way, I have tried to contact Benq. Thus far their response was to check if the cable was properly connected . It is.

Thanks in advance.

I have the same monitor and it's great. I have not yet purchased the x-rite but have edited photos on my screen, ordered prints and they came back great. I did end up having to turn the brightness down to about 70% though.

I can't be of much help yet.

My X-Rite i1 Display Pro came in tonight; I usually edit in complete dark so I had it measure my screen in that setting. These were my settings pre-calibration:

Brightness: 65
    Contrast: 47
    Sharpness: 5
    Temp: 6500K
    GammaL 2.2
    sRGB

My prints from Mpix were coming back pretty good (I usually don't have them color correct but sometimes I do) and sometimes they'd come back too dark. So I thought I'd try calibrating.

Post Calibration in Dark:
    Brightness: 32

The screen is sooo dark now and the prints are a tad washed out. I'll have to order some prints; some of my photos look a bit dark. I am wondering if it's just due to me being used to such a bright screen?

What happens if I want a particular photo to be brighter and I bump the exposure up and then send it to a client who's screen is un-calibrated and it's totally over-exposed on their screen?

The colors look great though, my screen had a green tint to it and I had never noticed before.

When I save a JPG in PS do I export my custom profile?
    Last edited by Photog82; 02-16-2017 at 03:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Photog82 View Post
    Post Calibration in Dark:
    Brightness: 32

What happens if I want a particular photo to be brighter and I bump the exposure up and then send it to a client who's screen is un-calibrated and it's totally over-exposed on their screen?

The colors look great though, my screen had a green tint to it and I had never noticed before.
    From what I've read, most monitors should be 80 cd/m2 to 120 cd/m2. I've seen this a number of places, but here is a link I just found that has that reference.

Going through Benq, 120 cd/m2 is actually equivalent to ~28-29 "Brightness"...so you might still be too bright. With that said, I think the proof is comparing professional level prints to what you seen on a monitor.

Glad to hear about the colors. I've been surprised to seen minor changes after calibration.

As to you other statement, thinking about how other people view our output is pretty amazing. Ultimately, we live in a uncalibrated, sRGB, 8-bit world. For now.

I always check my edits on:
    iPad, iPhone, Android devices, 2 laptops, my BenQ of course, and one at work. The photos pretty much look the same with the exception of a slight color shift but as far as exposure goes it looks good.

I worked with Mpix, they asked me to upload 5 photos, they are going to not touch them, print them and send them out to me and I will compare to my settings:

120cd/m2, 55 brightness, 50 contrast and newly tweaked sRGB color profile (which btw looks better than before).

I had ordered a photobook through Mpix just to show our clients what some of the nicer products would look like, they all came back perfect, just as they had looked on my monitor which makes me happy.