Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2017 Image of the Week #7

I'll take next week :-)

I feel sorry for whoever you get to judge it, great shots in this one

"Fuzzy Bird Food Burglar"

So I didn't get responses from the people I contacted. This has only happened one other time, and I judged.

Given the quality of the entrants, I hope you don't mind if I wait until tomorrow.

So, I ask myself several questions when judging. Things like "would I print this and hang it on my wall," "what is the quality of the image, (insert number of factors)," "would this image be used for some purpose like marketing, etc," "does this capture something special or interesting," "does the image have an emotional element to it," "how would it rank as one of my favorites if I had taken the shot," or "how would this compete moving forward." Usually, by the time I get to the end, I've narrowed the field down, often to a single image. Not.this.week.

Joele's "House Finch" is near perfection for a posed bird shot, IMO. Right down to the front foot being elevated, head tilt, and contrast in colors. But he even gives himself stiff competition with "Fuzzy Bird Food Burgler" (great name)...another great image.

I wouldn't hang Sean's "Eyes have it" on my wall, as I really do not need a big eye looking at me all day( ), but I can absolutely see someone using it in a marketing campaign. And in terms of composition, not only is that probably the most detail I've ever seen in an eye, but the composition has the catch light mirroring the pupil and I am completely drawn tot he detail in the iris. Detail I've never seen before.

Jonathan's shot, something unique. Jerry's, great composition. Claes an emotional element. Jayson's another great composition (especially like how some clouds seem to be moving faster than others) that could easily be used in an ad. Andrea's another great quality shot.

See my problem?

So, well done everyone. Really.

But, the winner, for me, came down to "House Finch" (hard to argue with perfection) and "Eyes have it" (I expect to see that at my next optometrist appt). So while I would happily put Joel's up on my wall....for the uniqueness and capturing something I've never seen in that detail before, I am going with Sean's "The Eyes Have It."

Congrats Sean!

Good winning selection and an excellent summary of the judging process too

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    No wonder I can't get anyone to judge this week. Sheesh. Great photos!
    Man, this really is a tough one. This is an exceptional crop this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    But, the winner, for me, came down to "House Finch" (hard to argue with perfection) and "Eyes have it" (I expect to see that at my next optometrist appt). So while I would happily put Joel's up on my wall....for the uniqueness and capturing something I've never seen in that detail before, I am going with Sean's "The Eyes Have It."
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Congrats Sean!

Good winning selection and an excellent summary of the judging process too
    Thanks guys! :-)

Congrats Sean! Nice shot!