Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Total Solar Eclipse on August 21 in the USA - Plans, strategies, tips!

Not that I've tried a CP when shooting towards the sun, but a CP is supposed to have greatest effect when shooting 90 degrees from the sun... so I would imagine in this case, a CP would have little to no effect. On the other hand, if nearly all the direct light is blocked, then perhaps all the remaining light in the landscape is scattered from an extreme angle, and a CP would have a large effect.

I think what you need to do is to convince B+H or another quality polarizing filter maker to do two side-by-side test shots during the eclipse, one with a filter, one without, and report on their findings. If it helps, they sell more filters next time. Seems like a wise investment of their time.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

You wouldn't need a filter of any kind during totality, even for wide-angle landscapes. On my first eclipse in India in 1995, I took a wide-angle shot of the scene during totality. One of the cool things that I did not expect, is that you get a 360-degree sunset glow all around you when you are in the shadow of the moon. This picture "sort of" captures that. Granted it was taken with 50-speed slide film, and then scanned, so the quality is about as low as you can get. The corona of the sun is hopelessly overexposed, as you can see. This eclipse was only 60 seconds long, so I just pushed the button on the camera while watching the eclipse through binoculars.

Ok, so now I am getting a little OCD.

Jonathan, I am thinking one would be looking for a high point with open sight lines?

I have found a spot in Idaho that is pretty darn close to the center line of the totality, 600 feet (180 meters) above the plain. And it has a dirt road to it (other than pear I am not in any other shape) so no hiking or very little. South end of Saddle Mountain.

I was looking for something more Palouse like but haven't found it yet.

Want to have several "Plan B" sites for last moment weather issues.

Thoughts?
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    Not that I've tried a CP when shooting towards the sun, but a CP is supposed to have greatest effect when shooting 90 degrees from the sun... so I would imagine in this case, a CP would have little to no effect. On the other hand, if nearly all the direct light is blocked, then perhaps all the remaining light in the landscape is scattered from an extreme angle, and a CP would have a large effect.

I think what you need to do is to convince B+H or another quality polarizing filter maker to do two side-by-side test shots during the eclipse, one with a filter, one without, and report on their findings. If it helps, they sell more filters next time. Seems like a wise investment of their time.
    During totality the light wouldn't be direct since you are in the shade. If it had no effect then I suppose it wouldn't be a negative using one and could only be a positive.

Possibly the scenario would be similar to sunset just as the sun drops below the horizon. That might be a good setting to practice with.

Being at a high point isn't essential, but if you're in a hilly area then it would certainly be an advantage. One important factor to consider is that you should have multiple options available for picking a Plan B location, in case clouds move in. Here is where I am going:
    https://goo.gl/maps/wSP7zY95F8A2
    It is right on the centre line, in a wide plain, with roads going in four directions in case we have to relocate in a hurry. Weather prospects here are just about as good as they get for the entire eclipse, but you can never count on that!

I just asked for my friends West Yellowstone Cabin for the period, it is not a for sure thing yet but very likely. I have 8 of us in my family that may go, possibly others. The consensus is to go to the Tetons, it is just over a 2.5 hour drive from WY, and it is 1.8 to Idaho Falls. I think the plan will be to check the forecast in the morning, Tetons as the first choice with Idaho as a backup.

Wow...I was originally just planning on coordinating my trip to see family in Idaho and heading south a little to check it out. But I might get a bit more serious with my planning.

Name:  Eclipse Idaho 2017.jpg
Views: 1374
Size:  181.4 KB

Name:  Eclipse Oregon 2017.jpg
Views: 1610
Size:  185.3 KB

Name:  Eclipse Wyoming 2017.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  170.3 KB

Just looking at those three maps, if I were to plan a trip that include more than just the eclipse, the Oregon coast, Stanley basin in Idaho, or Teton/Yellowstone NPs come to mind.

And, this is more for my reference, but a guide.

The spot I noticed is a bit northwest of Jon's lat/lon center point- pretty much the same nape of the neck.

As Brant pointed out, there is some pretty massive scenery along the path. I even looked down in Nebraska to see if there was an overlook to the undulations - haven't found one yet.

Mike
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 02-14-2017 at 12:00 AM.

Hi Everyone....I received an email from BillW, who is having trouble with his account. He'd like to post the following:

I’m reading the solar eclipse thread and people are thinking of using their Big Stopper….I’ve done a little research on this and most of the opinions are against this because of the possibility of frying your sensor. If I remember correctly, the BS is measured at 1/10,000, while the Baader film is rated at 1/100,000 blocking power.

A better solution and relatively cheap is Baader Astrosolar safety film; https://www.adorama.com/searchsite/d...der+astrosolar

And here’s a link on how to make a DIY filter for your lenses…..especially the larger lenses; e.g. your 150-600, 500’s, etc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiDheBRZrg0

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Hi Everyone....I received an email from BillW, who is having trouble with his account. He'd like to post the following:

I’m reading the solar eclipse thread and people are thinking of using their Big Stopper….I’ve done a little research on this and most of the opinions are against this because of the possibility of frying your sensor. If I remember correctly, the BS is measured at 1/10,000, while the Baader film is rated at 1/100,000 blocking power.

A better solution and relatively cheap is Baader Astrosolar safety film; https://www.adorama.com/searchsite/d...der+astrosolar

And here’s a link on how to make a DIY filter for your lenses…..especially the larger lenses; e.g. your 150-600, 500’s, etc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiDheBRZrg0
    Or my Russian 1100 I noticed I have a clear screw in/on filter that be used to support/protect
    Last edited by Busted Knuckles; 02-14-2017 at 09:49 PM.