Thread: Total Solar Eclipse on August 21 in the USA - Plans, strategies, tips!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I've read through this thread a bit and see that most of the talk is about the total eclipse; I'm not traveling so I will be shooting the partial eclipse. What do I need to use to shoot a wider shot such as a building with the sky and the sun partially eclipsed?

Am I better off just zooming in and getting it? If so, I'm assuming I'll need a make a solar filter?
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Photog82 View Post
    I've read through this thread a bit and see that most of the talk is about the total eclipse; I'm not traveling so I will be shooting the partial eclipse. What do I need to use to shoot a wider shot such as a building with the sky and the sun partially eclipsed?

Am I better off just zooming in and getting it? If so, I'm assuming I'll need a make a solar filter?
    There's a cool trick you can do to make this work. Use a wide angle lens, compose your scene, and then hand-hold a solar filter or welding glass a foot or so away, so the shadow falls across the lens. Then the camera will see the partial phase of the sun through the filter, and still be properly exposed for the surroundings. Give it a try before the eclipse!