Thread: Total Solar Eclipse on August 21 in the USA - Plans, strategies, tips!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    Not that I've tried a CP when shooting towards the sun, but a CP is supposed to have greatest effect when shooting 90 degrees from the sun... so I would imagine in this case, a CP would have little to no effect. On the other hand, if nearly all the direct light is blocked, then perhaps all the remaining light in the landscape is scattered from an extreme angle, and a CP would have a large effect.

I think what you need to do is to convince B+H or another quality polarizing filter maker to do two side-by-side test shots during the eclipse, one with a filter, one without, and report on their findings. If it helps, they sell more filters next time. Seems like a wise investment of their time.
    During totality the light wouldn't be direct since you are in the shade. If it had no effect then I suppose it wouldn't be a negative using one and could only be a positive.

Possibly the scenario would be similar to sunset just as the sun drops below the horizon. That might be a good setting to practice with.

Being at a high point isn't essential, but if you're in a hilly area then it would certainly be an advantage. One important factor to consider is that you should have multiple options available for picking a Plan B location, in case clouds move in. Here is where I am going:
    https://goo.gl/maps/wSP7zY95F8A2
    It is right on the centre line, in a wide plain, with roads going in four directions in case we have to relocate in a hurry. Weather prospects here are just about as good as they get for the entire eclipse, but you can never count on that!