Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Total Solar Eclipse on August 21 in the USA - Plans, strategies, tips!

Idaho looks good. Just I cant get there. I didnt get fired yet.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    The odds of clear skies are a bit less favorable in NC, but who knows?
    http://eclipsophile.com/georgia-and-the-carolinas/
    After 39 years working in the construction industry, I would give the weatherman a 50% chance of being right tomorrow.

Some might argue NC is the better spot since it is very close to the center of the eclipse. The duration will be 10-20 seconds longer than we will get in Tetons or Idaho.

I do know that the skys in Idaho and the Tetons will be second to none if they are clear.

In the last seven years this will be my sixth trip to West Yellowstone. We usually stay 2 weeks usualy in July or August and three of those years we traveled down in to Idaho . It was always raining in Idaho, every time, usually skattered showers.

It is just a throw of the dice for all of us, but if I miss I still get to spend a week chasing Moose, Bear, Wolves and Big Horn.

So far with my practice runs, I can say, tracking the sun from a tripod is actually pretty hard....that said, this graphic lets you track totality across a map....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.9b705b699c80

I've read through this thread a bit and see that most of the talk is about the total eclipse; I'm not traveling so I will be shooting the partial eclipse. What do I need to use to shoot a wider shot such as a building with the sky and the sun partially eclipsed?

Am I better off just zooming in and getting it? If so, I'm assuming I'll need a make a solar filter?
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Photog82 View Post
    I've read through this thread a bit and see that most of the talk is about the total eclipse; I'm not traveling so I will be shooting the partial eclipse. What do I need to use to shoot a wider shot such as a building with the sky and the sun partially eclipsed?

Am I better off just zooming in and getting it? If so, I'm assuming I'll need a make a solar filter?
    There's a cool trick you can do to make this work. Use a wide angle lens, compose your scene, and then hand-hold a solar filter or welding glass a foot or so away, so the shadow falls across the lens. Then the camera will see the partial phase of the sun through the filter, and still be properly exposed for the surroundings. Give it a try before the eclipse!

Quote Originally Posted by Photog82 View Post

I would do both. The book Jonathan recommended earlier also covers landscape shots, granted, during totality. But you could use a technique similar to what Jonathan described to make it work for partial. But, the sun is remarkably small.

Here are some shots I took with a home make filter (baader film) in 2012:

Solar Eclipse-4736 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Solar Eclipse-4745 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Solar Eclipse-4657 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Erno took a real nice shot:
    Ring of Fire by ernogy, on Flickr

I do not have a copy of my favorite shot from that eclipse. A friend was walking down the street and saw 100s of eclipse shadows beneath a tree and snap a shot with his cell phone. So, I would look for shadows during the partial stage of the eclipse.

As for filters, like I said, I went the home made route with baader film. Looking around, the pre-made filters seem to be sold out or backordered with the exception of the Lee solar filters, something like this that you would have to DYI down to fit, or other similar to the Lee filters that you should only use during live view (no protection for eye). So, likely, order some baader film or other solar media as soon as possible.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 08-05-2017 at 12:17 PM.

Ok so I got a 12"×12" piece of film. Cut using an exacto knife circles to pit between my clear filter and front element. HINT. Look closely at the space between the filter threads and front element. On the 70-200 2.8 mkii it is larger so use the out side diameter of the filter as a pattern and it fits perfect.... 3 tries later.....
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

I didn't see this posted on here, but this is another map that will give a good idea as to duration and time the partial eclipse with start.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/d...map/index.html. They just changed to forecast in my area for 20% chance of rain and possibly high clouds, so that is going to suck. Haven't seen a cloud in two days... .

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    Ok so I got a 12"×12" piece of film. Cut using an exacto knife circles to pit between my clear filter and front element. HINT. Look closely at the space between the filter threads and front element. On the 70-200 2.8 mkii it is larger so use the out side diameter of the filter as a pattern and it fits perfect.... 3 tries later.....
    That's what I did as well...paper wise. I ended up getting a step up ring and gluing the paper to the ring. Tried it a couple times now so we'll see if it holds up. Going to make a couple more just in case it breaks today.

Everyone got their location staked out?

Looks like I will be heading in to Idaho.