Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5DsR Bufer wierdness

5DsR Bufer wierdness

I finally remembered to come ask the question here: on my 5DsR, with the camera set to shoot RAW and ISO 100, I see in the viewfinder a buffer size of 12 shots. Whenever I take even just one shot, I instantly see the buffer drop to 9 then climb its way back to 12. Anyone else see this with their 5Ds/5DsR, and perhaps know why it's doing that?
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Could it be that you have a slow card and it is taking a little long to write to it ? I am just guessing but with those huge files and a slow card write speed ...
    Stuart Edwards
    1DX Mark II , 6D , Samyang 14mm f2.8 ,Sigma 85mm f1.4A , 24-105mm f/4L IS , 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II ,100-400 f5.6L II , 300mm f/2.8L II , EF 1.4x III , EF 2x III, 430EX II

Also you might have noise reduction turned on which slows things a bit.

Writing jpeg + RAW?

Honestly I never pay attention to the 5Ds R buffer because it is so shallow.
    I can check tomorrow.

I just checked it, I am shooting jpeg + RAW.

First shot drops to 8 or 9, and as fast as you can count to 12 it pops back up.
    Here is the weird part. As soon as it hits 12 I take another shot. On the second shot it doesn't drop at all it stays at 12.
    If I follow up with a third shot it will drop to 8 or 9 and as fast as you can count to 12 it pops back up.

Every other shot it drops to 8 or 9 and the next immediate stays at 12.

So I think what you have seen is the norm. FWIW I was in the house and was shooting at ISO 3200.

Fast card: 160MB/sec CF card (fastest I could find last time I shopped for CF cards). RAW only, not RAW+JPEG. No NR turned on (useless in RAW and wasteful since it NRs the embedded jpeg, which is silly).
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

My 5Ds does exactly the same thing. I'm using a Sandisk 120MB/s card though.Buffer 12, as soon as you take a photo jumps to 9 and pretty much instantly jumps back to 12. However if you use the entire buffer and end up with 3 left for example it will show all inbetween numbers before getting back to 12.
    To be fair I came from a 5D2 so the speed and buffer where a huge step up anyways and I never paid any attention to this

The number of shots you can take, that's shown in the viewfinder, is an estimation/approximation of what the camera expects to happen. It's not magic truth.

Quote Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
    The number of shots you can take, that's shown in the viewfinder, is an estimation/approximation of what the camera expects to happen. It's not magic truth.
    Let me spell this out for you:
    1) Turn the camera on. Set it as desired. Observe buffer to be 12 shots.
    2) Take one shot. Observe buffer to be 9 shots.

How does a 12-shot buffer dip to 9 on just one shot? Or, phrased differently, how screwed up does the estimation logic have to be for one shot to magically eat up 25% of the buffer?

base assumption is JPG???? guessing. Clearly a software issue.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911