Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Body Upgrade Help.

Body Upgrade Help.

Hello,

I currently shoot with a 60d. I've had this camera for 5 years. My kids are growing fast, I am traveling soon, and I want to use this Holiday as an excuse to upgrade camera bodies.

I primarily shoot landscape, my children (5 and 2), candid and everyday action.

I'm debating between the 7dii, 80d and possibly going all in for the 5div.

Please help me decide which to purchase, as this will be a long term purchase.

Thank you very much.

Ps - 5 years ago this forum offered me amazing advice. I wanted a dslr for my newborn child photography and I went with the suggested 60d and 17-55 2.8 lens - thank you!!

You will not be disappointed by a 5D IV vs the crop bodies. You would need to get a good lens like the 24-70 II and a flash.
    You would be looking at a 4-5 k investment.

Both oh the crop bodies work with your current lenses, so about 1/3 of the money.

For me it comes down to use. What are you trying to accomplish with your images.
    Shooting the grandkids I would be ok with the crop bodies. The 7D II is more than adequate. For family it is all about documenting the family moments, seldom is it about creating an image that is art. That type of photography I would be happy with the M5 I bought the wife. I actually shot my stepdaughters weeding with the M5 and it did a very good job (uncle Bob style of course, she had hired a photographer).
    if you are a serious landscape shooter the 5D is the better way, if the added cost is worth it to you.

5DIV would be an excellent choice but your 17-55 will not work on it.
    7DII would be the better crop choice but you can't go wrong with the 80D. 80D vs 5DIV cost difference could help pay for some glass
    Mark

how much video did you ever shoot or want to shoot.

It wouldn't take much before it the 5div and 4k start to future proof a bit. If you haven't or don't plan to do the 4k, then actually you might consider the m5.

You have a lot of options.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

As mentioned above, knowing your budget would help. I also will throw out the "shoot to need" comment. You've had the 60D for 5 years, where is it deficient? Do you find the IQ lacking? Do you want better performance at higher ISO? Do you want more AF points? What do you need that it does not provide?

In addition to a new camera body, you could consider new lenses, support, or lighting. For young children I could see a faster lens, and lighting for portraits and indoor photography. While I almost never post them, probably half my pictures are of my various nieces and nephews. Even with a 5DIII and 24-70 II, I often need a flash to get better lighting indoors. Dropping down to the 50 f/1.4 art can usually capture enough light but then I have an extremely thin DoF. So, really, the flash is the way to go.

My sister has the 60D. Looking through her images, my biggest issue wouldn't be the IQ out of it, but she shoots jpeg and does zero post processing. Do you shoot RAW? Do you have good post processing software? A good monitor (my current obsession)?

All that said, the 5DIV should not disappoint. I can see the 80D if you want better low ISO performance, more AF points or AF microadjust. Perhaps you will notice ~0.5 stop better high ISO performance. The 7DII if you want a very robust body and 10 fps, otherwise, I would go with the 80D.

Just understand that these are all tradeoffs. Part of me misses the portability of my first 7D and EFS 15-85. Great combo. I am very happy with a number of the images I took. The 5DIII and 24-70II combo gives better IQ, but is also much heavier and has a more limited focal length range often necessitating taking a second lens. That said, I wanted the better IQ, so I have not looked back.

Thank you for your replies. I am looking for a camera that performs better in low light, better for quick moving subjects (my Kids), and won't break the bank. It seems my choices are between the 7dII and the 80D.
    Has anyone shot with both of these bodies? Will the 80D hold up vs. the 7DII? I do shoot both JPEG and RAW, some post processing when needed.
    Thank you all again!

Quote Originally Posted by Magijr View Post
    Thank you for your replies. I am looking for a camera that performs better in low light, better for quick moving subjects (my Kids), and won't break the bank. It seems my choices are between the 7dII and the 80D.
    Has anyone shot with both of these bodies? Will the 80D hold up vs. the 7DII? I do shoot both JPEG and RAW, some post processing when needed.
    Thank you all again!
    I have not shot the 7d2, but have the 80d - if you have used the twisty flippy LCD on the back much you will sorely miss it on the 7d2. The very 1st thing I missed when shooting side by side w/ the 5d3 and the 80d was the twisty flippy screen. 7dII has no twisty flippy.

If you are really looking for low light step up - I am thinking the $$ would be better spent going to a faster lens than a f2.8 - perhaps the sigma 20 1.4 or canon sigma 24 1.4.

Playing the tape forward - what are you expecting to shoot over the next 5 years or so? I was REALLY impressed w/ the Sony a6500 - mountains of features, and super quite - no one knew I was 11 fps with it/everyone knew I was 12 fps w/ the 1dx. Turn off the LCD and the battery lasted quite awhile. Get an extra battery for your pocket and..... So if you are staying crop, I wouldn't automatically stay locked into the Canon manufacturing. A6500 and the sigma 18-35 1.8 would cover a ton of low light, full stop faster on the lens, certainly some on the sensor but not going to argue how much. With the non-speed booster meta bones, the canon ef glass focused plenty fast if you wanted to say w/ your glass.

The capture 1 for Sony imaging processing software seems plenty powerful etc. I am not expert but it got done all I wanted it to do pretty quickly and easily (and free).

The great news is that you have plenty of really capable options. The bad news is that you have plenty of really capable options.

I agree w/ Kayaker - where are you thinking it deficient? and where are you going w/ the pics over the next couple of years?

For what is worth, I am expecting to "redo" my whole set up in about a year and seriously looking at going "back" to crop as lenses are able to resolve AA less pixels, sensors are stepping up in DR for my needs. There is only so much chase of the last possible capability/dollar I am willing to chase. Sony 6500 w/ the 18-35 1.8 covers a TON of indoor shooting possibilities. I would have been all over the m5 if it had 4k vid. The only thing stopping me now is I am expecting some reasonably serious announcements this coming 12 months, and I am lazy.

Mike
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

I had a 7DII .... worked very well for outdoor kid action and family activity and you can squeeze up to 800-1000 ISO with manageable noise. It focused very quickly and accurately with no problem as far as battery life. Frame rate is great especially if you shoot less than max size jpeg's. (which is fine for kids and family stuff)

I shoot mostly birds and it just did not produce the IQ that I was looking for unless the light was perfect and I often need ISO up to 3200 so I sold it to generate funds for a 5D MKIV.

Rent a 7DII and see if you like it.....wonderful for carry around snaphots and for sports/wildlife in good light for sure but not the best for serious landscape work or low light work.

I got to play with the A6500 that Busted Knuckles (Mike) rented and have to say, it was impressive. I didn't have any files to play with (should have thrown my back up SD card in it), so I am not sure of the ultimate IQ. Looking at DXOMark, the IQ is pretty similar for SN ratio, Tone, and color to the 7DII and 80D. But the A6500 is rivaling FF for DR.

Considering all the features, that is an impressive package. Granted, one that will also cost $1,400 just for the body.

It really does depend on how much you want to spend.

• $899 you can have a refurbished Canon 80D ($1,099 new)
    • $1,199 you can have a refurbished 6D
    • $1,349 you can have a new 7DII (only $50 less refurbished)
    • $1,400 you can have a new Sony A6500
    • $2,090 you can have a refurbished Canon 5DIII (about the same price new on ebay, $200 more via B&H)
    • $3,499 a new Canon 5DIV (I've seen ebay go by ~$3k)

At least my take, I would take a long hard look at $899 for the 80D. Most of my lenses are refurbished. I would not hesitate to buy refurbished from Canon. Over the 60D, you are getting 24 MP vs 18 MP, 45 AF pts vs 9 AF pts, ~1/2 stop improvement in low light performance, AF sensitivity down to EV -3 vs EV -0.5 (so better AF in low light), and more.

If you start moving up, I would be looking first at the refurbished 5DIII. There would have to be something specific that you want in the 5DIV (4K video, etc) to justify the extra $1,500. I would opt for the 5DIII vs 6D for the AF points.

But, up to you. Lots of good options out there.

EDIT...while I am at it, and given the 10% off refurbished sale going on right now, I really have to say, the 5DIII ($2,090)with the 24-70 II ($1,367) and 70-200 II (out of stock refurbished, but new is $2k) is an amazing kit. So, if you were to start with the refurbished kit of the 5DIII and 24-70 II, you could have it for $3,457, or about the same as a 5DIV. Then add the 70-200 II when possible.

So, that would be a professional level kit. What you have to ask is would the 80D and what is really excellent quality suffice or do you want to go for a bit more quality at a higher price point.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 02-19-2017 at 04:31 PM.

I have the Canon 6D. It is a good camera, but....but not for action. Once in awhile is fine, but regularly shooting kids running around.....save your $ and get a refurb 5D3, an 80D, a 7D2 or the A6500.

I also have a Sony A6000. The AF system has a hard time tracking dogs running at the park, so I expect it would have a problem with kids too. However the AF system is updated in the A6500 and have read it is much better. However battery life is an issue.

I would rent the 80D, 7D2, 5D3 and the A6500 w/ adapter and see which fits your needs better.
    ---
    Way too much gear and even more lighting equipment.