Thread: Body Upgrade Help.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I got to play with the A6500 that Busted Knuckles (Mike) rented and have to say, it was impressive. I didn't have any files to play with (should have thrown my back up SD card in it), so I am not sure of the ultimate IQ. Looking at DXOMark, the IQ is pretty similar for SN ratio, Tone, and color to the 7DII and 80D. But the A6500 is rivaling FF for DR.

Considering all the features, that is an impressive package. Granted, one that will also cost $1,400 just for the body.

It really does depend on how much you want to spend.

• $899 you can have a refurbished Canon 80D ($1,099 new)
    • $1,199 you can have a refurbished 6D
    • $1,349 you can have a new 7DII (only $50 less refurbished)
    • $1,400 you can have a new Sony A6500
    • $2,090 you can have a refurbished Canon 5DIII (about the same price new on ebay, $200 more via B&H)
    • $3,499 a new Canon 5DIV (I've seen ebay go by ~$3k)

At least my take, I would take a long hard look at $899 for the 80D. Most of my lenses are refurbished. I would not hesitate to buy refurbished from Canon. Over the 60D, you are getting 24 MP vs 18 MP, 45 AF pts vs 9 AF pts, ~1/2 stop improvement in low light performance, AF sensitivity down to EV -3 vs EV -0.5 (so better AF in low light), and more.

If you start moving up, I would be looking first at the refurbished 5DIII. There would have to be something specific that you want in the 5DIV (4K video, etc) to justify the extra $1,500. I would opt for the 5DIII vs 6D for the AF points.

But, up to you. Lots of good options out there.

EDIT...while I am at it, and given the 10% off refurbished sale going on right now, I really have to say, the 5DIII ($2,090)with the 24-70 II ($1,367) and 70-200 II (out of stock refurbished, but new is $2k) is an amazing kit. So, if you were to start with the refurbished kit of the 5DIII and 24-70 II, you could have it for $3,457, or about the same as a 5DIV. Then add the 70-200 II when possible.

So, that would be a professional level kit. What you have to ask is would the 80D and what is really excellent quality suffice or do you want to go for a bit more quality at a higher price point.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 02-19-2017 at 04:31 PM.