Thread: Help!!!

Help!!!

Ok so my older 7D has been suddenly giving me "Err 30. Shooting not possible due to error"
    The usual troubleshooting didn't work (remove battery, CF Card, Lens etc) Im guessing the shutter may need to be replaced.
    Anyone have this issue? Shed some light on this? Is it worth replacing the shutter?
    Thanks in advance!

Never had the issue. Reading on the web, err 30 is the shutter being stuck. Sounds like there are a couple DYI fixes, but the problem tends to reoccur. I think you are looking at a call to Canon and likely taking in. Of course you can ship, or take it into Canon. I don't think you are too far from their Jamesburg, NJ location.

Bummer.

If you plan to keep and use the 7D for few more years, then it makes sense to send it in.

If you were already planning an upgrade soon, then you need to consider the cost of the repair vs. the price you can get for it when sold. If the difference is small, it may be simpler to accept it as a write-off, and a sooner than expected upgrade, rather than deal with all the hassles of selling used gear. A replaced shutter may increase it's used value to some potential buyers, while the fact that it needed to be sent in for a repair might scare off other potential buyers... you have a "known defective unit" in their eyes. I ran into this when selling a Canon XL1S camcorder.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

My other concern is I recently purchased a used 35mm f2. This issue began shortly after. Could a defect in the lens have fried my 7D? I have another 7D and Im leary about using the 35 on it.

I had a similar issue with my 5D. Had to send it in for repair. I suspect it was because I had the bad habit of making lense changes with power on.
    Mark

Canon is replacing the shutter. $350