Thread: Combo Backpack

Combo Backpack

I am getting back on the biz travel train....

I would like to find a backpack that is a true dual purpose - something I can put a legit change of clothes in, as well as, a body & lens or two.

Any experiences out there good or bad?

Thanks

Mike
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Hey Mike,

First, what gear would you like to design around? Second, if you find something good, let me know.

There are actually divergent paths you can go down....find the bag that fits everything you want or find the camera that fits into your bag. I started down the first, but am recently trending toward the latter. Then, next you could try to find a camera bag that can hold personal gear or find a camera case that fits into your personal bag.

In a way, I have given up on finding the do everything bag. I started off with a LowePro FastPack 350 having read and been told by a couple of people that they used it for such purposes. And, yeah, you can fit some things in the top compartment. But.not.much. Nothing like what I would need for business travel. More like one change of extremely compactable cloths. The computer section is great if there is a computer in it. If there isn't, it deforms a little. Plus it is fairly heavy. So, the 350 has become sidelined. One of those things, jack of all trades, master of none. Still a good bag, but I keep meaning to sell it and just haven't so it sits in my closet.

Right now, if I want to travel with my 5DIII kit, I use separate bags. Either the LowePro Flipside 400 AW if traveling lighter (Camera, and 2-3 lenses) or the Gura Gear Kiboko 22L+ if traveling with a lot of gear, or the Sigma 150-600S. Then I have my travel items in a separate bag.

But, this is where the smaller kits come in. I wanted to travel even more compact but still have a camera. So, first, enter the EOS M (now M3). Definitely more compact, but oddly compact. It still needs a bag of some type. It is small, but not so small that it doesn't take up room. For example, it doesn't fit in my computer case. So, when I take my "M-Kit" it goes in my carry on or check in bag. Definitely less room than my 5DIII. But this does serve the purpose of getting into one bag.

But, most recently, I've added the G7X II. This really does fit in a pocket or my computer bag. The IQ is very good. So far, it has been a very nice compromise of IQ vs size and it has become my "go anywhere" camera.

If I were to try to find a perfect bag again, I would likely go for a larger backpack (32L) or a rolling case and simply use some of the sections intended for camera gear for my personal stuff or go with . I referenced G-Elite for the bag. Gura Gear bought Tamrac and kept the Tamrac name with the Gura Gear line becoming "G-Elite." Have to say, I like my Kiboko 22L much more than either Lowepro. Just better built. Also, Bryan has recently been hyping the Mindshift bags. I am thinking about giving one a try as either a replacement to my Flipside 400AW or something even a bit smaller. Also, I've always been interested in the f-stop internal camera unit type approach. More for actual hiking, but could accomplish your goal. Main issue I see is crossing the carry-on size restriction line. But, one idea I have kicked around is buying one of their internal camera units and simply putting that in my carry-on. I almost did that with my M3 kit, but ended up with a ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover (suggested by Joel) for my M kit.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Brant
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 05-06-2017 at 12:00 PM.

I use the Crumpler Base Park backpack and it's great. It has a separate camera section in the bottom and although it was smaller than I expected I have just learned to take less with me. It fits my 7D and a 70-400 f4l in perfectly though. There's loads of room in the top with a few handy pockets and side straps dotted about. I can carry enough food, drink and spare hats/gloves/coats for me and my two and four year old to last all day.
    Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Business travel...laptop, too? I use a LowePro DSLR Video Fastpack 250AW. The bottom compartment holds my 1D X with RRS L-bracket, three 'standard' lenses (usually 11-24/4L, 24-70/2.8L II and TS-E 17/4L, one must be mounted), and I can fit my EOS M2 + M11-22 in there as well. Top compartment holds a change of clothes and a small toiletries bag. Laptop compartment holds my 17" MacBook Pro and a 9.7" iPad Pro (the latter in a neoprene sleeve). Requires a strong back, only complaint about the pack is that the hip belt is not padded. Has an all-weather cover tucked in, tripod mounts to the side.

Hope that helps...

Hey Mike...you may have already seen, but this is getting some play over at CR...:

http://www.canonrumors.com/wandrd-la...nd-camera-bag/

That looks pretty neat. Bought a Trekker bag from Condor. A bit larger with some options. It was devised has a traditional backpack with a zippered boot/shoe compartment. It has a separate small "admin" sling that zips on/off. I use the boot compartment for an insert. Dslr,70-200,2 f4 zooms are no problem.... other than weight

The trekker is a "tactical" bag and has an adjustable strap system with removable waist straps.

I will take a closer look at it when I get back on Monday from the fam reunion.
    Last edited by Busted Knuckles; 07-08-2017 at 05:18 PM.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911