Thread: Sigma 50-100 dilemma

Sigma 50-100 dilemma

I purchased this lens used a few months back, and honestly, while the image quality is outstanding I just don't love this lens. The zoom is kludgy to use. I miss a lot of shots. Last event I shot, (a 50th Birthday party with about 80 guests) I didn't even bring this lens. Shot the entire night with my 17-55.

Pretty close to bailing and putting her up for sale. Thoughts?? (I'm shooting with Canon 7D.)
    Last edited by jerrytech1; 05-24-2017 at 12:21 PM.

As an 80-160 equivalent on the 7D, it's too long at it's "wide" end to be general purpose. Not long enough on the "tele" end for wildlife.

It sounds like a lens that covers a lot of portrait focal lengths. Typically for portraits you have time and can work with primes, but, perhaps as a street portrait lens or something it could find a niche.

These same focal lengths sound like they may be ideal for indoor sports. Is the AF up to the task here?

(I know these observations don't really help you, but if we can find a good solid purpose for the lens, it may help finding the right buyer if you choose to sell).
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Thanks Dave. The best use I've found for this lens was an outdoor family portrait shoot in a park. But I don't do many of those.
    Indoor events is where I struggled with it. To the point where I left it home. Image quality is superb. But hard to master.

Hi Jerry,

So, great IQ, but not a lens you enjoy using? The "Kludgy" zoom? I just read some reviews and I didn't see that mentioned. Missing shots, is that because of the zoom or something about the AF (front/rear focusing, etc)?

I have never used the lens, but my general thoughts are to return it (if you can), potentially send to Sigma to fix the zoom, or to sell. One of those things, if you are asking the question...you have the answer.

The only reason to keep is if the problems can be fixed, if you think it might grow on you with more time, if you have no replacement for something specific it does or if you can "like" it enough even if you'll never love it.

Good luck,
    Brant

I find it difficult to adjust the zoom on the fly causing me to miss shots walking around an event. It's a hassle. I already have it listed on eBay. Probably going to pick up a used Tamzooka and have some outdoor fun.

I don't think the Sigma is defective, it's just not my cup of tea. Maybe someone else will get good use out of it. I'm moving on...

Dilemma solved. Sold the Sigma, bought the Tamron. Having a blast chasing birds and other wildlife...

Thanks

Congrats.....while I have the Sigma 150-600S, I've used the Tammy before and it is a great lens.