Thread: Fireworks with moon?

Fireworks with moon?

July 4th is coming up soon. Looks like the moon will be about 85% full, and will be in the southern sky for 9:30pm-10:00pm that night. Does it "work" in-frame with the usual long exposure for fireworks, or does it just become a big white splotch with lots of bleedover?
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Never tried it, but I would expect that in order to get long enough exposure for the fireworks that there would be no detail left in the moon. Keep in mind that the moon is quite bright since it is reflected sunlight. Perhaps the best approach would be multiple exposures...one for the moon with a shorter exposure then blend in longer exposures for the fireworks. Often people blend fireworks exposures anyway to get multiple complimentary bursts in one frame. Could make for an interesting shot anyway and worth a try.

Stephen

Lots of logistics. Focal length to is 1st up. How big do you want the moon in the frame.

I suspect 200 or 300 on a ff is about as long as one could go. Then the neutral density filter f16 + 8 stops would give you 2 seconds at is 100.

If you are lucky you could multiple burst in a single frame.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911