Thread: Canon 5D MKii

Canon 5D MKii

Currently own 2 Canon 7D's. Want to go full frame but my budget is limited (saving for my wedding). I can pick up a used 5D MKii for around $600.
    Thoughts? Worth taking a shot?I want to upgrade to full frame for portrait work. I would sell one of the 7D's and keep one.

I own the following glass that will work on the 5D MKii
    50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 35mm 2.0

I did the full-frame switch. Just be warned that once you taste full-frame, you may not be able to go back. I did Rebel T1i to 7D, to used 1DsmkII (the day before the 6D was announced), then to 7DmkII. I really loved the 1DsmkII's image quality. I just hated that it couldn't go past ISO 1600. I really like the 7DmkII's auto ISO (the 7D didn't allow exposure compensation in auto-ISO), burst speed, etc, but... man, I really can't stand the noise. The visible noise at ISO 100 irks me, every time I see it. I very much regret putting money into the 7DmkII rather than saving for a higher-end full-frame.

In other words, unless you need action tracking auto-focus, I don't think you'll be disappointed. The image resolution is enough to cover a 4K and 5K display (I wouldn't recommend buying any camera that can't produce modern desktop wallpaper sized images... it just a matter of time before someone ask for one).

I'd compare prices/features to a used 6D too (newer sensor than 5DmkII, but may have other strange limits as it's the 'entry-level' FF).
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Hi Jerry,

First of all, congratulations on being engaged! That is great and I am sure you are excited.

As for the 5DII, I would go for it, but just understand what you are getting. The 5DII was a great camera with the primary limitation being AF points. As long as you are comfortable primarily using the center AF, I think you could get the 5DII. Sure there are some newer versions with some bells and whistles, and certainly the read noise of the latest generation of Canon sensors is better. But the 5DII was a nice upgrade over the 7D then and still would be now. I know of photographers that only recently upgraded to the 5DIV from the 5DII, completely skipped the 5DIII. You have a nice set of lenses that you could use. I am not going to get into the FF vs Cropped sensor debate unless you really want to hear it. Just, for what I've seen you shoot, I think you will really like FF and I think, for what you shoot, a kit with a 5DII and 7D is better than two 7Ds.

Of course, I do recommend buying the best you can, but with saving for the wedding and the 5DIII/6DII ~3x more and the 5DIV ~5x more, I would go for it and make it work as long as you can.

Thanks,
    Brant

Thanks guys! As always, I appreciate the feedback.

Hi Jerry

I did excactly what you are contemplating to do now............that was some 12 months ago.

the 5D2 plus 7D combo works a charm! That 'old" body is still pretty awesome, especially when looking at IQ etc.

Let us know about your experience once you have done the deal.

Regards

Jimmy

I also had the 7D + 5DII combo, and it was a great setup - 7D for birds/wildlife, and the 5DII for everything else. Convenient, since they use the same battery, both are CF cards, etc.

Congrats on the forthcoming wedding! Have someone else take the pictures...

Thanks for the feedback. I decided to go for it. Should have the 5D MKII this week. Found one in very good shape. Can't wait to shoot...

I love this camera!! My 7D's are awesome and I love them, but this really is a whole new level of photography. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and input. So glad I made this move. Now I need a lot more paying gigs so I can get more glass...

Your post is very timely. And glad you find the step worth it.

As lots of folks are wrapped around some axle about the latest camera body..... we lose track the new body expands the imaging envelope at the edges.
    I find that I have a full compliment of glass, which seem to me to be the right place for incremental investmemt.

There are some meaningful increments for the hyper pro specific to a segmemt, i.e. sports fps, resolution, perhaps a bit of low light focusing through the view finder vs live view (low light at weddings arent likely to be high action shutter speed- magic lantern w/focusing peaking)

I certainly pendulum between the very latest and realizing I havent even gotten close to the edges of my current set up.

Hyper pro, making a living etc. Probably worth it if not to only meet the perceptual wants of the client.

It looks like I am going to donate my effectivley new 1dx mk1 for a tax write off and will wait at least one more evolution before I change out my 5dIII, maybe even 2 more as I didnt see nearly enough benefit in the mk iv that I rented.

If you havent played with magic lantern i encourage you to do so.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911