Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6d2 review timing?

Quote Originally Posted by wsmith96 View Post
    That is exactly what I did. I just sold my 6d and T1i in anticipation of the 6dii, but the 80d is looking pretty good and I still have the lenses to complete a great kit for a crop camera. I tried to buy an 80d over the 4th holiday, but canon cancelled my order Perhaps it is a sign.
    The 80D is a really nice camera and a good overall value. The 6D2 has 2 major turn offs for me: AF points clustered too much in the middle and low ISO dynamic range. The 80D checks both of those boxes plus it has a good frame rate, high pixel count, and flippy touch screen.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    The 80D is a really nice camera and a good overall value. The 6D2 has 2 major turn offs for me: AF points clustered too much in the middle and low ISO dynamic range. The 80D checks both of those boxes plus it has a good frame rate, high pixel count, and flippy touch screen.
    It's my understanding that phase detection AF on FF cameras will always have the focus points concentrated in the middle 1/3 of the height of the frame. Width-wise, there isn't the same physical limitation, but perhaps there are implementation restrictions.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3 View Post
    It's my understanding that phase detection AF on FF cameras will always have the focus points concentrated in the middle 1/3 of the height of the frame. Width-wise, there isn't the same physical limitation, but perhaps there are implementation restrictions.
    The AF points on the 80D and 7D2 cover the rule of thirds points. I'm not sure about the full frame cameras, I've never looked because I couldn't ever justify 5D and beyond cost.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    Per sensor gear head user reviews posted so far it appears the 6D2 low ISO dynamic range is actually a touch less than the original 6D -- which would be completely shocking in my mind. We'll have to see what the lab tests show.

Personally as a current 6D user I'm giving serious consideration to going back to a crop body like the 80D as my primary camera. I like the user features such as touch screen, frame rate, better autofocus, and on chip processing.

Dave
    Not to pile on here, but I watched The Camera Store's overview of the 6D starting at about minute 32 and it is shocking how much the low ISO DR is lagging behind even the crop sensor bodies like the T7i.

https://www.facebook.com/TheCameraSt...4977822526359/

I can't believe Canon would release a body with this DR performance in 2017. They have the technology to do much better and chose not to...

Dave

I was able to pick up the 80D this weekend. Had trouble again ordering online, but no issue calling it in. Looking forward to seeing how it compares to the 60d. Anyone here get the new 6d? If so, what do you think about it?

Quote Originally Posted by wsmith96 View Post
    I was able to pick up the 80D this weekend. Had trouble again ordering online, but no issue calling it in. Looking forward to seeing how it compares to the 60d. Anyone here get the new 6d? If so, what do you think about it?
    I passed from 60D to 80D and i was really happy.

The main reasons are:

1) Autofocus & AF Point capabilities, even in low light
    2) ISO & Noise compared to 60D
    3) Really good FPS

Basically is really a good complete camera (at least, for what i do - travel & wild life)
    Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

Jamsus

I am getting really confused about the 6d mark II. More and more i read review, specially for nightime/astro shootin, the more it gets beaten about bad noise handling etc. Somehow i find it hard to believe, that canon would had really made worse version?

6d2 review timing?

I am not sure they made a "worse" version. From what I've seen, the 6DII is an improvement over the first version in almost every way.

The disappointment seems to mostly be focus around the sensor. It seems that while canon has put new sensor tech (on chip Analog-digital converter) in all new cameras, including entry level crop sensor cameras, it seems they chose to use and older tech sensor in the 6DII.

This should mostly "affect" lower ISO shots and anything above ~ISO 800 should be comparable.

As I still shoot the 5DIII that has older tech, I am not getting to caught up in it. My guess is that Canon used older tech to save money on the 6DII sensor to help keep the price point down (and their profits up).

Not having handled one, my guess is it is an exceptional camera that will take millions of great images. That the sensor is likely better than the one in my 5DIII. But there will be a few reviews always fixated on its weaknesses.

This is how i try to reason it to myself. Not going to change my 5 dsr to it, but get this as my second body for the nighttime shooting. Kinda tempted to it mostly for that 4k timelapse =)

At the risk of maybe being a jerk my opinion is that the 6D2 sensor is non-competitive in the 2017 market place due to the lack of dynamic range and handling of noise. 2012 called and it wants its sensor technology back.

Dave