Thread: Wireless Remotes

Wireless Remotes

A quick question regarding wireless remotes: I have the 30D and have been unsuccessful in locating a wireless remote. Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks,

John

Re: Wireless Remotes

If you're trying to trip the shutter wirelessly, try this GadgetInifinity product.

The only Canon wireless remote for the 30D that I know of is the LC-5 Wireless Controller. It's pricey, though, at about $400. I use a Canon Remote Switch RS-80N3, but it isn't wireless.

Dude, I'm SO buying one!

I did a lot of research on eBay before getting mine. There are dozens of sources--search in eBay on "canon wireless remote" and on "Canon wireless shutter," as some sellers don't use "remote" in the title. I found that, as for many other things, gadgetinfinity is one of the more expensive Chinese sources, even for exactly the same gear. I bought mine from jiakgong for less than $19, versus $33 or $43 from gadgetinfinity. Do check other sources. Also, check the sellers' stores for other gear. Sometimes, you can get a discount on shipping. (E.g., lens caps, LensPen--get the ORIGINAL, not a copy!, lens hoods, cables, cheap flash triggers.)
    George Slusher
    Lt Col, USAF (Ret)
    Eugene, OR

Hmm...was unaware of that. Thanks for the info George. I'll do a little more research next time an item on GadgetInfinity looks good to me. ;-)

How long do these remotes last...The one says it will last about 20,000 shots on a single battery, but does the remote even last this long?

I have no idea how long they might last, either in time or in actuations. There's only one major moving part, the trigger buttton. How much would you expect to use the remote? I've actuated mine at least 200 times and it still works. I later got a timer remote (wired) that can shoot sequences and time long exposures (set the camera to "Bulb"), but I haven't used that one as much. You can also get wired remotes, which may be a bit more reliable. The wireless remote that I have has a button on the receiver that can be used to trigger the shutter, even with the receiver turned off, as it's just a switch.
    George Slusher
    Lt Col, USAF (Ret)
    Eugene, OR