Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrading 5D 3 for weddings/Action Anyone use 5DIV & 1DXII

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hello Prayharder,

I upgraded from the 5DIII to the 5DIV about 2 months ago. I agree with all the points made by Joel, David, Jonathan and Brandt.

The ability to crop more, to downsample more, and to pull more detail from the shadows are nice. I guess they help 5% of what I shoot. Sometimes the greater downsampling makes a shot of family members at ISO 12,800 look OK. I was seldom happy going beyond ISO 6400 on the 5DIII.

One feature I don't see mentioned here (or very much on line) is the ability of the 5DIV to use exposure compensation together with auto ISO. For a subject that is lighter or darker than the background, but moves around into different lighting ( like my granddaughters) this combination can be helpful. Obviously this is not a feature one needs for landscapes from a tripod.

I also enjoy the WiFi for getting a shot onto my wife's cell phone right on the scene.

I must still confess that the biggest need for improvement in my shots is the photographer and not the camera.
    Last edited by Minerve101; 08-17-2017 at 03:14 AM.

Minerve101 - Yes that was one major improvement in the 7D2 from the 7D. I tend to shoot M + Auto ISO, and use EC all the time. I have the 7D2's little lever that it supposed to change focus modes set to change the wheel to an EC dial, so it's always handy. It's one of those things I've come to just expect, and would be very annoyed if a new camera didn't support.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

If you shoot in artificial light, the flicker mode on the 1DX Mark II may be worth an upgrade from 1DX.
    Better viewfinder information and improved focus system in the 1DX Mark II is nice too.
    But in general, at least as long as you stay away from video, the differences between 1DX and 1DX Mark II aren't such that I would have upgraded, if it wasn't for the accident my 1DX had.