Hi guys!

I could really use some (a lot) of advice here! I have been asked today to be the photographer for my dog's vet clinic for their annual "Pet Photos with Santa" event! I have yet to accept because #1 I'm terrified! I have only been a hobbyist over the past few years with just making monthly sales on Getty, Redbubble, Zazzle and the like. I have still only done one wedding (which I am sure you all remember)! I have never, ever done portraits as a paid photographer! I would love to be able to do this since I am unemployed with three dogs, this could result in a very nice credit on my account with the clinic! I have sold photos of my dogs to them in the past which they had put on canvases and are hanging on all their walls in their clinic.

This would be for only one Saturday for 4 hours. They always get a huge turnout with as long a line as you see in dept. stores for kids waiting to meet Santa! The photo of the pet would be sent out in a greeting card to the owner.

Question #1) Should I turn it down? Do you think I am getting way over my head on this one?

Question #2) If I do this, do you think I have the gear I would need or should I rent items? I have a 6d mk I, 7d mk II for cameras, the lenses I could use are Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 and 50-150mm 2.8, Sigma 85mm 1.4 (non-art). For flashes I only have speedlights (Canon 580EX II, 430 EX II, 320EX), I have one softbox, one white umbrella, original version of the Phottix Odin wireless TTL triggers. I have a few cards and batteries (all are pretty old but still useable). I have a tripod and background stand but no background for this, they said one might be provided. Not sure on props. I want to keep what I rent to a bare minimum so it doesn't eat up what I will be making from this.

Question #3) Settings on camera? There could be anywhere from one small dog or cat with Santa to three big dogs or anything in between. What f stop, shutter speed recommendations can you give me?

Question #4) She asked me what I would charge. I had no idea what to say and told her I would let her know if I decide to take the gig. Any suggestions?

Now that I've typed all of this, it is pretty clear what the answer is to #1 but since it is two months away, maybe I can practice and get a set-up that will make this turn out well! I have attached a couple of my dogs photos to get an idea of how much I am lacking in this area. Leaving it to a professional may be my best bet!

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sammy 2012 by Denise Trocio, on Flickr

Lil' Santa by Denise Trocio, on Flickr

Ok, maybe the jolly part needs work! by Denise Trocio, on Flickr