Thread: 2017 - Image of the Week #40

2017 - Image of the Week #40

Welcome to TDP forum's "Image of the Week" competition. Each week photographers may submit their images to compete for the title of "Image of the Week." Weekly winners will then compete on a monthly, quarterly and finally in an annual poll for the title of "TDP Image of the Year."

• There will be only one weekly winner.
    • This entry period for Week 40 will be from Monday September 25th through/including Sunday October 1st.
    • Please supply a title for your image.
    • This is an open competition for landscape, portrait, architectural, macro and any other appropriate photographic style.
    • Images should have been either recently taken or processed.
    • Enter as many times as you would like.

This week will be judged by DavidEccleston.

Good luck!!

"Ireland"

Irlanda
    by Andrea Magnelli, su Flickr
    Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

Jamsus

Brown Beech Mushrooms

Brown Beech Mushrooms.jpg by Wesley Smith, on Flickr

Tetons and clouds

Old granary

Old Granary by Kari, on Flickr

Ninjas
    _DIV7106 by Stuart Edwards, on Flickr
    Stuart Edwards
    1DX Mark II , 6D , Samyang 14mm f2.8 ,Sigma 85mm f1.4A , 24-105mm f/4L IS , 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II ,100-400 f5.6L II , 300mm f/2.8L II , EF 1.4x III , EF 2x III, 430EX II

"Sunrise in Bryce"

1L0A6963 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Jamsus, a landscape shot in portrait orientation is a bold choice. In the end, the cow isn't enough of a hook, and the orientation choice doesn't leave enough landscape to look at. Looks like a nice place for interesting landscapes.

Wesley, nice macro shot.

Brant, nice landscape. Interesting rock formations, though it appears the left half of the image is tilted to the left.

Choosing a winner between the final two was more of a coin-toss than preference for one over the other. I like them both.

Minerve101 (Danny, right?), Nice landscape/cloudscape, with an interesting perspective. The space given to the clouds, along with row of trees in the mid-distance combine together to make the mountains look tiny. The effect may look better when viewed larger, however it appears the Flickr links are broken at the moment (giving SSL errors), so I only have the forum-sized shots to judge by.

Karsaa. You're this week's choice. Fantastic Milkyway starscape. I think merging in a shot with just a bit more light on the granary would help add some foreground definition. As it is, there is too much dark in the foreground for my taste. Scrolling it a bit off the bottom of the window (as a poor-man's crop, removing half the grass at the bottom) looks better to my eye.

Edit: Aaahh! I didn't mean to skip commenting on your shot, Stuart. Sorry about that. Nice high-key painted turtle shot, with nearly-still waters providing a very clear reflection. Without any environment present, aside from the rock, I would have preferred a tighter shot, showing more detail.
    Last edited by DavidEccleston; 10-03-2017 at 05:36 PM.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Thank you david. Yes i had more than few versions of the "bottom" shot but the light i had in use for the light painting was just too strong (my headlamp) and my cellphones's light was too narrow. In my own mind that granary is bit too dark also, just didn't wanna dig it up on lightroom too much.

Congratulations, Karsaa!

Great choice, David. Thank you for your helpful ideas as well. Composition with UWA is still a challenge for me.
    Danny
    Last edited by Minerve101; 10-03-2017 at 11:31 PM.