Thread: Camera Bodies

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I've gone from a 450D to a 50D to a 5DII and last year I had a difficult decision to make. I pretty much only take photos during holidays so we try to go on holiday as often as possible so I doubted if I would really need a DSLR. In short "downgrading" to a mirrorless turned out more expensive than I thought and really not that beneficiary to me personally. Going all the way down to a "pro" level compact was tempting, but I was afraid to miss doing real photography and not be happy with the quality of the results. Then I chose to upgrade to a 5D3, however in the last couple minutes of decision making I saw the 5DS for a relatively small added cost...so I went for the 5DS.

I love the camera and it's so much better on pretty much every level compared to the 5D2 that I think I'm set for a while and don't need an upgrade soon. However the 5DS turned out to be quite an expensive upgrade as soon as I downloaded the first files to my computer(which was quite a good computer)....I needed a new pc badly with the large files. So I did a big overall upgrade.

I had some doubts if this was all worth it considering the amount of photos that I take, but it's also a hobby and hobbies just cost money.

Since then I also invested in a Lee Filter set and I'm more and more enjoying to take photos again so in the end I'm happier than ever.

Do I miss certain things? I'm a simple guy and use probably only 5% of the features that my camera offers(same counts for the little amount of apps on my phone). But one thing I do envy others for is the swivel screen when I have to go into backbreaking positions to take certain photos. I think the screen would be something I'd upgrade for in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky View Post
    ......I love the camera and it's so much better on pretty much every level compared to the 5D2 that I think I'm set for a while and don't need an upgrade soon. However the 5DS turned out to be quite an expensive upgrade as soon as I downloaded the first files to my computer(which was quite a good computer)....I needed a new pc badly with the large files. So I did a big overall upgrade.
    Even though my photos are stored on a NAS, I find that editing them on an M.2 NVMe drive is the best. Can your computer handle the new NVMe drives? There might be a workaround possible, say installing a M.2 drive on a PCI-Ex4 card.
    ---
    Way too much gear and even more lighting equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Manofmayo66 View Post
    Even though my photos are stored on a NAS, I find that editing them on an M.2 NVMe drive is the best. Can your computer handle the new NVMe drives? There might be a workaround possible, say installing a M.2 drive on a PCI-Ex4 card.
    I'm pretty sure my pc could handle an M.2 drive, however I already had two SSD's in my previous pc and I kept them. All my photo's are downloaded to the second SSD to do most of the sorting and editing and afterwards I transfer them to the Raid HDD's in my PC. It works a lot faster than working from the HDD's. I don't know how much and if the M2 would improve the speeds. (PC is a I7 6700K, 32GB RAM, 2x512GB SSD, 2x2TB HDD in Raid, GTX1070)