Thread: Camera Bodies

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    In reading this, "upgrade path" may not be what I am doing any longer. There was a point where I would shoot to need, decide what I wanted, and upgrade over time. While I still might want a few things, like a prime lens here or there, I am mostly set. So, really it is more of a maintenance path for me. Knowing that I plan to shoot for decades and the gear will eventually wear out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    I think I'm going to go back to a crop sensor if the 90D / 7D Mark III offer a modest resolution bump, acceptable ISO, and improved dynamic range.

I've figured out I'm not willing to spend enough on camera equipment to really shoot full frame. I've enjoyed the 6D using it for 4 years now without an upgrade, but the 6D Mark II in my opinion is not a compelling upgrade and the 5D Mark IV is more camera than I really need.

I can't see myself leaving Canon because I like the lenses and don't want to lose all of the money in a system swap.

Dave
    Yeah, there would have to be something very specific that I wanted in another system to consider a swap. Right now, if you really wanted FF mirrorless, ok, Canon doesn't even have one. But the crop sensor mirrorless are pretty solid and the new sensor tech really seems to be keeping up with only negligible benefits of other tech.

As for APS-C, overall, to me it is a more viable option than ever before. I am not sure how much more it can improve (sensor performance is getting pretty efficient), but maybe another 1/3-1/2 of a stop. I occasionally think back to when I joined the forum in 2010. As many might remember, back then their was a common discussion between crop vs FF and a general consensus that FF was ~2 stops better in terms of most performance parameters. But, with the latest upgrades, current crop sensors actually exceed FF sensors (5DII) of that generation in some ways (low ISO DR) or have closed the gap in others.

Then throw in the cost, size, and weight advantages and I can really see why people would not need an "upgrade" path to FF. Crop is more likely than ever to suit someone's needs.

I say that, but no one had better try to pry my 5D out of my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by NFLD Stephen View Post
    I don't really have a plan either. Currently using a 5dIII which I am very happy with. I'd like to upgrade, but I'm not sure any of the current bodies have any compelling features for me to justify the upgrade cost at this point. Having said that, I'm not really sure what I would like to see to prompt an upgrade....I suppose just general improvements across the board (MP, noise, AF, etc.). I would like to have an intervalometer built-in (which the 5dIII doesn't have), but that's not enough of a specific need to force an upgrade. My other issue is that I'm not sure I want to hang on to the 5dIII for several more years to possibly wait for a 5dV; I'm not sure my current camera would last that long. So I may be interested in one of the other 5d versions (maybe a new sR?). I looked at the 6dII, but seemed like more of a lateral move from my 5dIII.

Stephen
    Ha....This is pretty much where I was at. But, as I do enjoy thinking about the gear, and am a bit into the latest and greatest. In thinking about an overall maintenance plan, I basically considered three options:

• Just keep using my 5DIII and shoot until a real need developed or the camera died beyond reasonable repair. As a quick example, I talked about shutter actuations previously, from what I've read, replacing a shutter is only $300. Replace a shutter every 150k actuations and you can likely keep using the 5DIII for years and years.
    • Skip the 5DIV and wait for whatever is released after. I played with this and when factoring in resale value of the 5DIII, there was only a minor cost savings vs...
    • Upgrade to the 5DIV.

Really, all three are very viable options. The 5DIII is a great camera and as long as it is working, I can see running with it. But, me, personally wanting the latest, and running the numbers told me waiting a year wasn't so bad financially, so I have gone for the third option.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 11-02-2017 at 05:41 PM.