I was wondering what people's thoughts were on their camera bodies moving forward. Are you looking for mirrorless to take the next step forward? Or is it already there (M5/M6, Sony/Fuji/Oly/Panasonic)? Are you set with your current body? Waiting for prices to drop? Or looking for a specific feature? Do you have an upgrade path?

I just pulled the trigger on a refurb 5DIV. This is about when I thought I would probably upgrade, about 1 year after the release. With a price of $2,379, I doubt I will see it for much less for awhile.

Ultimately, for me, the upgrade is a bit odd as I am very happy with my 5DIII. But I have decided on a strategy of selling my current body while there is still strong resale and I can resell it in good conscience knowing whoever buys it is getting what should be a great camera for years to come. My 5DIII currently has ~63K shutter actuations and used 5DIII's are going for $1,300-$1,600 on ebay. At this rate, if I waited another 4 years, I would be ~120-130k actuations, nearing the 150k actuations the 5DIII's shutter is rated and, thus, end of its rated life. Based on current prices of 5DII's, I would expect the resale would be less than $500, and justifiably so.

So, as long as the refurb camera body is as good as my experience with refurb lenses (which is excellent), I am excited about the upgrade.

But, this got me thinking, I just signed up for another ~4 years with a strategy of a single "generalist" do everything well camera body. I have added the M3/G7X II, but those are more for size/weight when needed. In terms of when I intended to go and shoot, I will be taking the 5DIV.

Given the cameras currently available, I still think this is the best strategy for me. But I can see my next upgrade cycle to be towards a two camera body system where the bodies are more specialized. Something like a high resolution (5DsR Mk ??) and something more geared for faster action (7D III or even 1Dx ??). I enjoy OVFs and generally like the ergonomics of the 5D cameras, so no current mirrorless camera appeals to me as my primary camera (the M3 is a great travel camera for when size/weight are factors, but, I am using the G7X II more).

So, that is my general path for my primary camera. Another 4 years with an excellent single camera I use for pretty much everything (5DIV), but I expect after that, I will be moving toward a two "primary" camera system.

I was wondering what other people where thinking?