Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making The Switch - Should I do it?

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    Thank you for the link, Mark. Now I am leaning toward my first choice on the mirrorless ... the Sony A7 II. Eventually, I will get this figured out!

Lots of good options out there these days. I'll just echo what was previously said, I would recommend not deciding this on specs and reviews alone. I would get someplace and get some hands on experience.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    I would recommend not deciding this on specs and reviews alone. I would get someplace and get some hands on experience.
    THIS! My first DSLR was a Nikon, purchased online. It went back real quick. It doesn't matter what the IQ is like at high ISO if you can't how the camera works or feels.

Find whatever adjustments you regularly do, and see how/if they work on the new camera. If you need to go 5 menus deep to change a setting every 2 shots, you'll go mad.

For me I'd be looking at things like:

How easy is it to switch exposure compensation. Canon makes this too hard by default on the 7D, having to go into a menu. Oddly enough, this was simpler on the T1i, as it had an EC/bracketing button that the 7Ds lack. As I tend to stay in single-point AF mode, I assigned EC to the focus mode switch of the 7D2, making it very easy.

Does it do auto-ISO in M mode? Can you still apply EC when using this mode. Canon now has this working, and it's wonderful.

How easy is it to switch between tracking/burst and focus-lock/oneshot.

How does the camera transition between shooting and image review? How quickly can you go through those images?

How does the camera handle making adjustments during auto-review?

The last two are where the Nikon I tried drove me nuts. After shooting the image review was either off, 1 second, or 10 seconds. At 1 second I couldn't pull the camera from my eye and focus on the screen, and see much before it was going away... far too short. 10 seconds didn't work for me either. When it showing the auto-review image, any attempts to change the settings (aperture or shutter) would instead automatically put your in image-review mode, and start scrolling through the images, instead of changing the settings. So I'd have to take one shot, review, wait for 10 seconds to expire before I can adjust anything, and then take another shot. Auto-review off was yes another failure. In this case, pressing the button to manually review-images took several seconds to switch modes, despite the auto-review being able to do this instantaneously. There simply wasn't a good option. Well, there was... I returned it and bought a Canon.

A spec sheet won't tell you these sorts of annoyances, but 10 minutes with the camera will.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

I stopped at Best Buy and they only had the Sony a6000, a6300 out on display to try. Tiny little buggers!! I thought the menu, buttons and all were okay. Very disappointed that they didn't have a Fuji X-T2 available to try! The more I am reading and seeing pictures taken with that one the more I am liking it but yes, I know the real deal in my hands can make all the difference!

Is in-camera stabilization very good and something I should be considering? Sony has it, Fuji does not.

Table top macro setup:

https://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/0...to-studio.html

I've made one of these and primarily use it for buy and sell listings LOL!

Dave

Thanks, Dave. I knew you had something set-up that you shared once before. Getting something going is going to be my winter project!

I think I have done all the research reading and picture viewing of photos taken with various cameras than I can possibly handle anymore and I have made a decision. I am definitely going with the 6d II and Fuji X-T2! If I don't like it, I will just have to return it.

Tomorrow I will start taking pics, pricing and selling my gear. Hopefully, I will make enough to get both of those at an awesome price and one lens to start off with for the Fuji. I have my eye on a couple! From what I understand, my Sigma for Canon crop sensor lenses will work with the Fuji with an adapter, right?

Thank you so, so much everyone for helping me think my way through this. Now, I am not so depressed of having to stop shooting completely and feeling positive now!

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    Thanks, Dave. I knew you had something set-up that you shared once before. Getting something going is going to be my winter project!

I think I have done all the research reading and picture viewing of photos taken with various cameras than I can possibly handle anymore and I have made a decision. I am definitely going with the 6d II and Fuji X-T2! If I don't like it, I will just have to return it.

Tomorrow I will start taking pics, pricing and selling my gear. Hopefully, I will make enough to get both of those at an awesome price and one lens to start off with for the Fuji. I have my eye on a couple! From what I understand, my Sigma for Canon crop sensor lenses will work with the Fuji with an adapter, right?

Thank you so, so much everyone for helping me think my way through this. Now, I am not so depressed of having to stop shooting completely and feeling positive now!
    No problem, I've actually used the light box for a lot of stuff. Here's a 2 flash setup using it (just a play around shot here):

2016_02_06_15345_upd by dthrog00, on Flickr

I don't think a Canon EF lens will have aperature control or autofocus on a Fuji. Fuji glass is supposed to be really good, you're probably best off using Fuji glass on the Fuji camera.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Throgmartin; 11-08-2017 at 01:46 AM.

That set up worked extremely well for that shot, Dave.

I thought I read in all my research that there was an adapter that would make the Sigma's work. But maybe it was a different camera I was looking at at the time. I was hoping to keep those (17-50mm and 50-150mm) but I guess I will have to let them go.

I did a quick search in Kenosha WI and noticed one camera shop in town (Rodes) and several more in Milwaukee. Have you visited your local camera store? Surely they would have a better supply of equipment than Best Buy.

At one point (maybe 9 months ago), I seriously looked at switching to the Sony A7ii, however there were 3 things I didn't like: I didn't like the feel of the A7ii compared to the 6D. My hands are small for a man, but the grip and the controls just didn't work for me. Second, the battery life is atrocious and finally the star eater issue. For any exposure longer than 30 seconds, the Sony noise reduction kicks in (non-defeatable) and eliminates stars it thinks are heat noise from long exposures. As I understand the A9 doesn't have that problem, nor does the new A7Riii, but who knows if that is true.

I have seen other photographers using the BlackRapid system of camera straps, and seen them in camera shops....even tried them out, however, they don't work for me. I use a wrist strap from Tamrac I think....it was a close out from 4 years ago. The strap scares people because I can let the camera (sometimes with a speedlight) slip out of my hands to hang by my wrist.

I might have said this before....between my diabetic neuropathy and foot problems, hiking and carrying a heavy pack is out. If I travel, I might bring more than 2 lenses in my pack, but when I am out exploring, I generally carry only 2 lenses (a 35 & 90), as either of the lenses are small enough to put into a coat pocket.
    ---
    Way too much gear and even more lighting equipment.

I have lived in Kenosha all my life and Rode has been here twice as long, it is a very, very small store. It is only less than 3 minutes from my house. I stopped there about a few years ago to see what they had for gear and to look at straps, talked with an older gentleman employee there for awhile. He had absolutely no knowledge about camera gear or photography. I told him I shot Canon and was looking for a strap. I was looking to put a new one on my old 7d when I was putting it up for sale. He handed me the only strap they sold and very seriously asked me if I liked this one ...it had NIKON in big bold letters on it. I looked at him and said I don't think so and left. I haven't gone back except for when KEH was there buying gear and they offered me less than half the $ amount that I was able to make on my own.

I'll stop over there tomorrow just to see what they may have.