Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making The Switch - Should I do it?

Ok....so I actually wish I hadn't looked, as last time I had checked, Canon APS-C was on par with Sonikon. But, looking at the A6500/D7500 vs 80D/M5 (I didn't see Canon's SL2, which would be the latest), SN ratio is similar, but the Sony pulls away in the other categories. So, 80D is taking some great pictures, but you might want to at least rent one of the others if you go to a smaller system.

Also, to get this out there, but I've been playing with smaller cameras as it isn't practical for me to always have my dSLR system with me, and I am happy with the M3 system. The sensor is absolutely better than the 7D, the lenses are very nice, especially the 11-22. But, more surprising to me is how good the G7X II is. Two quick examples:

IMG_1281 by kayaker72, on Flickr

IMG_1070 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Point being, maybe you keep your FF gear, but get something small to take with you some of the time. That is essentially what I am doing and I have been very pleased having these different size/weight options.

That said, ergonomics do help. I've only moved the camera from around my neck to my shoulder but I was glad to do that. I use a blackrapid strap, but there are others systems out there:

https://store.lowepro.com/topload-chest-harness
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...the_strap.html

An option I recently saw people hyping a bit that would get the camera weight off your upper body altogether would be a holster:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ra_System.html

or, a belt system:

https://store.lowepro.com/beltpacks
    https://store.lowepro.com/modular/s-...t-utility-belt
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...um.html?sts=pi

Anyway, really do feel bad about your situation and wish you luck. Smaller systems are very capable, but I would also consider more ergonomics in how you carry whatever system you end up with.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    Sounds like I had better rent a mirrorless first before taking the plunge, Dave. Thank you for that info ...I didn't realize it would be that different.
    Sorry, I'm not trying to scare you and just wanted to warn. You might really like Sony or Fuji, but they are a lot different than Canon DSLRs. Best to try them out before putting too much money into it.

If you don't mind the driving a little ways the Best Buy in Brookfield has a nice camera display where you can try out the various Sonys.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    Sorry, I'm not trying to scare you and just wanted to warn. You might really like Sony or Fuji, but they are a lot different than Canon DSLRs. Best to try them out before putting too much money into it.

If you don't mind the driving a little ways the Best Buy in Brookfield has a nice camera display where you can try out the various Sonys.

Dave
    Best Buy in Kenosha used to have a display, haven't been in there in ages but I will be passing there tomorrow so I will stop in and see.

A friend on fb said she had a Sony Nex7. Not familiar with it but she said Sony is very menu driven and in her words, "Sony has no soul".

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Ok....so I actually wish I hadn't looked, as last time I had checked, Canon APS-C was on par with Sonikon. But, looking at the A6500/D7500 vs 80D/M5 (I didn't see Canon's SL2, which would be the latest), SN ratio is similar, but the Sony pulls away in the other categories. So, 80D is taking some great pictures, but you might want to at least rent one of the others if you go to a smaller system.

Also, to get this out there, but I've been playing with smaller cameras as it isn't practical for me to always have my dSLR system with me, and I am happy with the M3 system. The sensor is absolutely better than the 7D, the lenses are very nice, especially the 11-22. But, more surprising to me is how good the G7X II is. Two quick examples:

IMG_1281 by kayaker72, on Flickr

IMG_1070 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Point being, maybe you keep your FF gear, but get something small to take with you some of the time. That is essentially what I am doing and I have been very pleased having these different size/weight options.

That said, ergonomics do help. I've only moved the camera from around my neck to my shoulder but I was glad to do that. I use a blackrapid strap, but there are others systems out there:

https://store.lowepro.com/topload-chest-harness
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...the_strap.html

An option I recently saw people hyping a bit that would get the camera weight off your upper body altogether would be a holster:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ra_System.html

or, a belt system:

https://store.lowepro.com/beltpacks
    https://store.lowepro.com/modular/s-...t-utility-belt
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...um.html?sts=pi

Anyway, really do feel bad about your situation and wish you luck. Smaller systems are very capable, but I would also consider more ergonomics in how you carry whatever system you end up with.
    These photos are AMAZING!!!

I have been thinking of MAYBE keeping the 6d and get a better strap for it. I will look at the M3.

Wearing the brace no stop for a number of weeks now has helped but as soon as I move my wrist the wrong way on accident, the pain is excruciating! I have read it can take eight weeks to really see improvement in the tendon pain, so time will tell. With it being my right-hand, surgery is an absolute last resort since that will lay me up for months of not using it at all! WHAT NO DOG WALKS!? Yep, no dog walks, no computer, no Photoshop, no driving and no photography at all! So, I'm keeping the brace on and taking ibuprofen and if that doesn't help, cortisone shots and physical therapy. I honestly believe hand holding the 7d ii and 150-600mm did the most damage to my wrist. So, once all is better with it, I just want to make sure I don't ever get back to this point again but am still able to enjoy doing what I love, photography!

Brant mentioning the G7X II reminded me about another recent Canon announcement. The G1X Mark III actually has a full APS-C sensor. It can take your flashes. It's got 9fps with AE/AF lock, or 7fps with continuous AF. If you can live with 24-72mm (not ideal for dog action shots, I know), it may be a good fit.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

I have been reading reviews on and off all day and night for two days until my brain hurt! Wouldn't it be great if you could just put in what specs you want and out comes the perfect camera designed just for your own personal wants/needs!!!

At least I made one decision, I am definitely going to get the BlackRapid Breathe Curve Camera Strap ...now I just have to decide on the camera to use it with!

I own a Fuji XT-2 and would use nothing else, but with that said I would assume you have a considerable amount invested in Canon glass. I find the buy/sell process a costly pain so would not recommend a switch to a different brand.

Canon is doing its best to catch up to Sony & Fuji in the mirrorless department and with the adapter you can use the glass you already have. I have talked to people who own the M series with adapter and are quite happy with that. But then again there is NO saving in lens weight using the adapter, in fact my Fuji with battery grip and 100-400 is as big and heavy as any canon or Nikon. I generally don't make recommendations on equipment, as that is usually a personal thing. But listening to your story and having moved to Fuji for the same reasons. I believe the M series with 1 or two general purposes mirrorless lenses would provide you what you want most the time and when they didn't you would still, have your current gear to fall back on.

The cost of changing brands can be staggering. While Fuji is what I would recommend for someone just staring out, and I believe Sony/Fuji to be the better choices for a full mirrorless system, I can't recommend replacing an already developed to your specifications system. The cost is just too high.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    --------------
    Bill

Thank you, Bill for your insight. I appreciate your taking the time to help me out with this decision-making process. I have bounced back and forth on this for days trying to figure it out. I need to figure out something soon so I can sell my gear and take advantage of either Black Friday deals or start looking for used & refurbished.

Here are my thoughts (could change by tomorrow, LOL):

First, I have to adjust how and what I shoot and learn to accept my limitations and embrace change!

1.) Carry my gear differently ...NOT hanging around my neck! Buy the BlackRapid Breathe Curve strap.
    2.) Hold my gear differently. Before I used my right hand to really grasp and hold most of the weight of everything when shooting and held my hand underneath for support when I wasn't manual focusing. Now I am going to have to use my left hand underneath to hold most of the weight and use my right to support and work the camera.
    3.) Actually use my tripod, monopod and gorillapod! Minimize hand-holding whenever possible.
    4.) Give up wildlife photography, accept the lenses for that are way too heavy for me now and long hikes are out of the question.
    5.) Get a good table top set-up for macro photography. Any suggestions on a good soft box light tent set-up?

Now for the gear:

1.) Sell my heaviest lenses (150mm - 600mm and 50-150mm to start).
    2.) For a camera, the 6d is okay but the width on the right side is close to the limit of what I can stretch my thumb and index finger without starting to strain and feel the pain in the tendons. So, I need to sell the 7d II for sure. So, I am also going to sell the 6d and get the 6d II. Shutter speed is better and will make up for the loss of the 7d II somewhat in that regard, size is good for short periods and I can use on my tripod and use the lenses and flashes I already have. I will also have to sell my 17-50mm since it is only for crop sensors.
    2.) For more of a go-to walk around camera, I am really leaning toward the Fuji XT-2! Size and weight are good, reviews are good and it has quite an array of lenses to choose from. Bill, how is the XT-2 on high ISO in your opinion??

Thoughts???

I would need to get moving on selling my gear so I can take advantage of any Black Friday deals and upcoming sales and be ready to buy on the used/refurb market when something pops up. Adorama has a few of the XT-2 cameras available.

Input on my thinking would be appreciated. I sometimes don't make the best decisions!
    Last edited by ddt0725; 11-07-2017 at 11:27 AM.

The Fuji XT-2 looks pretty good to me. Try any two camera comparisons you like.
    Mark

Thank you for the link, Mark. Now I am leaning toward my first choice on the mirrorless ... the Sony A7 II. Eventually, I will get this figured out!