Thread: Plans for 2018 for my photo efforts

Plans for 2018 for my photo efforts

In addition to one or two more trips to the world class birding sites here in Central Florida, I am hoping to make it out to Yellowstone in early May for some action w/ the major predators feeding on the winter kills - tried last year but had to cancel at the last minute.

Then with some luck over the summer get back out to Utah/Arizona from some landscape efforts.

My other photo distractions is to get some Florida landscape shots at the end of the month there is a decently timed full moon rise/sunset that offers some interesting ideas. Other topics are reflective black water, spanish moss, gators, thunderstorms, lightning, bugs and flowers, fiddle w/ the macro world a bit. Early in my hobby I did some basic macro, but perhaps fiddle more specifically with it, put the 90 t/s on some extension tubes.

What are your goals/thoughts for 2018
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Nice goals!

My goal is just to get out more and have fun. I didn't take that many photos in 2017 and want to get after it more this year.

Dave

My goal is to rent a ~1200-1500sf commercial space and make headshot photography a legitimate side business venture, in the hopes of growing it to a point where I can quit my job at Microsoft and be my own boss. I'd like closer to 2000sf but recognize the wisdom of starting small and earning my way up.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3 View Post
    My goal is to rent a ~1200-1500sf commercial space and make headshot photography a legitimate side business venture, in the hopes of growing it to a point where I can quit my job at Microsoft and be my own boss. I'd like closer to 2000sf but recognize the wisdom of starting small and earning my way up.
    Best of luck, love what you do and it isn't work.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

I do usually like to plan and give myself projects, but I haven't done that for 2018 yet. In terms of trips, I'll probably also be doing Yellowstone, but we are targeting after a family wedding in September. I'll also have a work trip to Palm Springs, so I'll likely fit in another visit to Joshua Tree NP. I would like to mix in a trip where I get good shots of aurora's, but I think that is more of 2019 rather than 2018.

I have been wanting to finally do more macro, specifically, I want to get a good shot of a snowflake.

I need to think about this some more....

No specific plans, but a general goal to get out for more birding this year. Will certainly have a few business trips, one likely to Argentina.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    I have been wanting to finally do more macro, specifically, I want to get a good shot of a snowflake.
    Should be an opportunity to meet that goal in the next 24 hrs.

I read several tutorials about using black velvet, creating custom snowflake shooting tables, etc. But I ended up using something far more expensive, but more readily available – a tinted window on my wife's Honda Pilot. Just go out in light snow with macro lens and flash, run a gloved hand over the dark glass, which clears the surface and warms it just slightly, enough so flakes will stick. Then shoot, shoot, shoot...

Love the snowflakes!

My goal is to get good shots of the granddaughters (ages 18 months and 4 years) at Disney World in March. Five other adults will have their cell phones cranking for usual snaps and videos, but I hope to get a few candid portraits suitable for framing. It seems clear that formal posing is not what will be happening!

Am practicing quick reaction shots, using my SL-2 with the tilt-flip screen from about my knee level, since I have never shot that way.