Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
Very detailed and nicely done, Bryan would be wise to take your research and post it in a linked page in his review section.

So what will the be your next task? Possibly finding the "Ultimate DSLR Wildlife Body"?

There is so much discussion about bodies and their specs, but once you make the leap to the big white lenses the camera body becomes an accessory to your glass.
Right now the the bodies I own have a value of about 20% of the cost of all my lenses.

I found the 5Ds R put the resolution of the new 500mm to the test.
The 7D II with its speed was not as quick as a 1 series AF.
The AF drive of the 1 series will make the 500mm quick, but you do not have the resolution of the 500mm.
And one shouldn't forget the high speed frame rate of the 1D series and when it matters.
At day break and sunset noise becomes an issue. With some bodies you have a few stops extra to play with. About 8 minutes a stop is what I have found in the morning and evening. So many variables. Where does it end.

Researching this since 2009, at some point my solution was to go with multiple bodies. For the most part with what I shoot I leave the 5Ds R on the 500mm.
Thanks....

As for next task, I am thinking I take a lot of pictures

As for "best bodies"....I think you are dead on. I did not summarize, but looking through the EOLs, everyone had 2-3 bodies. It interested me that some of their glass was old, but all the bodies were new. I'll try to dig it up, but I did see a reasonable attempt to evaluate the "best" wildlife body. I didn't feel the need to dwell as the conclusion was the 5DIV.

But, ultimately, I am seeing 1DXIIs, 5DsRs, 5DIVs, and 7DIIs in a lot of the kits from pro wildlife photographers. As for myself, I think I'll either rent or buy a second body about the time I do something pretty major and will not want to be changing lenses. But, for now, a one body system has been working just fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by NFLD Stephen View Post
Thanks a lot for this Brant! I've been reading this thread as you went along even though I didn't have much to add I did find it very interesting. I've considered getting a supertele at various points but end up not being able to justify the cost for my anticipated usage. Right now I'm content with the 100-400 II but maybe someday I'll pull the trigger.... Until then I'll live vicariously through you, so make sure you post lots of pictures and a follow up review once you've settled in with your new baby!

Stephen
Thanks Stephen. That is exactly what I did for years. There are a lot of pictures to take out there and only a few need specific lenses like a super tele. It is a fun hobby and it is good that there are a lot of ways to evolve and grow.