Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I need help

Re: I need help

Hey Tim do you have one? If so how easy is it to calibrate the screen to a print? Thanks for all the help.

Thanks

Joel

One othert thought Joel with regard to your budget. I don't know how much you own and how much you need to buy for this project, but as a NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals) member, you can glean enough discounts on stuff to more than pay for the $99 membership fee and have money left over in your pocket.

For example NAPP members (through May 31st) get 20% off products from the Adobe store (like Photoshop, Lightroom, etc). There are lots of companies that participate with NAPP to provide discounts to their members on Hardware, Software, Training, etc. MacMall for example has NAPP member prices on MAC products. I joined NAPP last year when I wanted to upgrade to CS4 and have more than paid for my membership with their member discounts on things. The magazine is very well done with lots of learning help and their website has tons of tutorials that also very well done (free for members).

Just some food for thought and here's NAPP's website:

NAPP

Rick

Joel....total of 2 HDs, 1 w/a 10k spin rate and the 2nd w/a 7200 spin rate.

I use the 10k HD to run my programs and to develop my pics (CS3 operates very fast). I use the 2nd 7200 HD to store my photographs and keep the 10k 150GB HD clean of big memory users, i.e. RAW photos. I normally have 60% memory available at any one time on my 10k HD.

Also, I'm not a gamer.

Yes folks, I use EHDs & CDs for back up as well.

Hope this clarifies it for you Joel

Bill

Macbook Pro has a decent screen... but it's still a laptop. If you go that route you'll probably end up want a regular desktop monitor (I ended up shelling out for one after about six months anyway). Your best bet is the iMac, since you can get all the toys you want and the configuration you want and still stay within budget. If you go with the Macbook Pro and just a 20 inch monitor you're pretty close to your limit already. Laptops are great, but it'll end up costing you more in the end. The only reason I have a laptop with desktop accesories instead of a regular iMac is that I have to take my laptop to my lab every day (much easier than having two separate systems to work on).

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Bookhammer

Hey Tim do you have one? If so how easy is it to calibrate the screen to a print? Thanks for all the help.

Thanks

Joel

I don't have one, I have a macbook, but thats because I'm a student and laptop makes more sense right now. I plan on getting an iMac as my next system though. I have never calibrated my monitor, but the sRGB and adobe RGB seem to be accurate enough for me not to notice any difference.

Tim, since you already have the laptop, it might make more sense to just buy the desktop accessories to go with it rather than a new iMac... the 20" cinema screen is a fantastic display.

Joel, the Mac monitors are incredibly easy to calibrate for printing. Very user-friendly.

The problem with that is that the macbook graphics card is poor. Besides, by the time I buy an iMac my macbook will be about 4-5 years old.

Would this be a good setup for editing large amounts of pictures, via photoshop?

Intel Core 2 Quad 9400 Processor (2.66GHz) • Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition with SP1 • 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 memory • Dual SLI NVIDIA GeForce 9800S with 512MB GDDR3 • 500GB 5400 rpm hard drive (2 x 250GB) • Factory-sealed liquid cooling system (CPU, chipset, GPUs)

Joel;

I'm not a computer tekkie by any means, but I think you would be much better off w/at least 1 7200 spin rate.

When I was researching my current box (specifically for photography) I found many people recommending the 10k, they found the 7200 sufficient and didn't recommend the 5400 spin.

When I went to a shop to have mine built, there was young (college) lady there who was into photography, majoring in computer sciences. She lamented how slow her 5400 HD (don't remember memory size....mine's minimal [] ) using CS3. She thought my HD setup was spot on.

All I'm saying is that I think you'll be disappointed in the 5400 s/r for PP and the 250/7200 s/r HDs are pretty inexpensive.

Cooling system; liquid was exponentially more expensive at the time, so I put a larger cooling fan in a quieter box....I'm not having any issues w/heat.

Sorry, as I stated, I'm not computer tekkie, so I can't speak on your other components w/my experience being over a year old.

BTW....my cost; $1500

Good luck

Bill

Hey Bill thanks again for the info, I tried looking around for a 10K but havent found one yet, I will make sure though that it is atleast 7200....I've got alot to learn []

Thanks

Joel