Thread: Touchy subject...

Touchy subject...

Guys, I'm sorry but I need to ask...what's the technique when shooting overweight, plus size or just plain chunky people? Sorry to be so blunt but had to ask... Shooting weddings and nightclub events often leads to shooting someone wearing a "not so flattering" outfit, yet insists on being in every pic...what to do? It's impossible to avoid...just looking for some advice and/or shooting tips/techniques.

Thanks in advance

Bearing in mind that I lack much experience, I can offer the following (take it with a grain of salt). I believe a slightly longer focal length think 70 to 100mm helps a little. I also think that you don't want to shoot your "large" subject standing with their chest facing you, better to have them "suck t in" in a more sideways position.

I'm hoping that others that actually know what their doing will chime in.
    Scott

I need to lose 10 lbs or so -- before my picture is taken there's a brief checklist: #1 smile, #2 suck it in LOL

Barrel distortion is not good for truly heavier folks. I don't take many people pictures so I'm not that much help.

Dave

Shoot from higher above the subject if you can (especially for single subjects). Things farther away from the camera appear smaller, so when shot from a higher angle, the body becomes smaller relative to the head. If shooting more straight-on, never let the subject stand broad-shouldered to the camera (go with a 45-degree angle).

Another trick is to position such subjects behind other subjects so that their face/shoulders are the only things visible. You have to be careful with this strategy, however, as a subject will notice if you repeatedly ask them to stand behind everyone.

Thanks Guys! Appreciate the feedback.