Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heads up folks, Canon lens pricing went up this afternoon.

Heads up folks, Canon lens pricing went up this afternoon.

I noticed just this afternoon that Adorama, B&H, Amazon and others raised the price of the EF 100-400 from $1360 to $1400 (after current Canon rebate applied). If you were just about ready to "pull the trigger" on a lens, better get out and look for a reseller that had not yet raised prices.

I found an article on Bloomberg.com today that speaks to what happened to the Yen:

"The Japanese yen weakened versus 15 of the 16 most-active
    currencies on prospects that gains in U.S. stocks will spur
    investors to buy higher-yielding assets. The results of the
    stress tests, due out at 5 p.m. in Washington today, will show
    JPMorgan Chase &
    Co.
    doesn’t need a deeper reserve against losses, people
    familiar with the matter said yesterday."

Reading that article, it would appear to me that prices for these lenses may remain up or go higher for awhile. There are some resellers that have not yet adjusted prices, but that may change soon. I think the big boys (Adorama, B&H, ect) were just faster on the draw due to these currency changes.

Rick

Re: Heads up folks, Canon lens pricing went up this afternoon.

Yeah the 70-200 2.8 IS I was contemplating has jumped up $100 negating half of that rebate. The 16-35 jump $50 so I don't feel bad about paying $1450 for a couple weeks ago. It almost looks like they halved all the rebates.

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 10pt;"]The excuse that Canon has raised pricesso the retailer needs to increase their pricesis not totally valid.<o></o>

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 10pt;"]The lenses in their inventory were purchased at the lower prices and should not increase in price until they make new purchases from Canon. Just another way the retailers are taking advantage of the rebate making them of less value to the customer.<o></o>

J&amp;R has not raised their prices as of this writing. I was able to snag the 70-200 2.8 IS for $1499. I wasn't ready to buy it but that lens at that price was too hard to pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob

<span style="font-family:'Arial','sans-serif';color:black;font-size:10pt;"]The excuse that Canon has raised pricesso the retailer needs to increase their pricesis not totally valid.

<span style="font-family:'Arial','sans-serif';color:black;font-size:10pt;"]The lenses in their inventory were purchased at the lower prices and should not increase in price until they make new purchases from Canon. Just another way the retailers are taking advantage of the rebate making them of less value to the customer.

I don't know what all the resellers deals are but some of them don't actually pay for inventory until it is purchased. So when Canon raises the prices the retailers usually have to follow suit to maintain there profit margin.

What's interesting is how many lens B&amp;H are out of stock or backordered on.

I was waiting for the rebates to come out this spring. I guess waiting for a rebate didn't work this time.

I'm not sure how this will impact sales. I can't imagine that sales will increase as the price increases.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob

<span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black;"]The excuse that Canon has raised pricesso the retailer needs to increase their pricesis not totally valid.

<span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black;"]The lenses in their inventory were purchased at the lower prices and should not increase in price until they make new purchases from Canon. Just another way the retailers are taking advantage of the rebate making them of less value to the customer.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Fact or not, the reality is that retailers often tie prices to their wholesale costs. Look at gas prices - market price goes up, street price goes up, even before the next truckload arrives. Or cigarettes, which as I understand it retailers began charging higher prices ahead of the tax increase so there was no price increase WHEN the tax hit.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Here's an interesting read on "The State of the SLR Industry 2009" from the folks over at Lens Rentals.com. This article's link has been circulating around several of the DSLR discussion boards as people try to digest what is happening to camera and lens pricing, availability, etc.

http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2009.04.24/state-of-the-slr-industry-2009

Rick

Keith B

I doubt that Canon will carry the inventory cost of the retailer. If so, I should open a estore.