Thread: Odd forum text entry behaviour

Question Odd forum text entry behaviour

Recently I've noticed something odd when replying on this forum. When rephrasing something, you can highlight text and type over it to replace it. This works as it should. However, if you highlight a word by double-clicking, then your key presses are ignored. As it doesn't affect other sites, it doesn't appear to be a Chrome issue... it's something strange about the forum software used here.

This happens in all the editors (quick-reply, full reply, and the new thread page).

Any idea what's up? Anybody using a different browser (non-Chrome) seeing the same thing?
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    Recently I've noticed something odd when replying on this forum. When rephrasing something, you can highlight text and type over it to replace it. This works as it should. However, if you highlight a word by double-clicking, then your key presses are ignored. As it doesn't affect other sites, it doesn't appear to be a Chrome issue... it's something strange about the forum software used here.

This happens in all the editors (quick-reply, full reply, and the new thread page).

Any idea what's up? Anybody using a different browser (non-Chrome) seeing the same thing?
    Hmm... Haven't noticed the issue. I'll try to remember to dig into it tomorrow. It's been a while since we updated the forum software; it may be a bug that's already been addressed in a newer version.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We just upgraded the forum software. Has the behavior you described changed?

Ah! The software upgrade explains why a bunch of old threads claim to have new posts.

But, no, double-click to highlight then typing over the highlighted text is still broken.

Currently running Chrome on Win7 at work right now, so whatever it is is broken in Chrome on Windows 7, and Chrome on Mac OS X (10.12.something...)

I tried Firefox (15.0.1, I never use it, so it's likely very old), and it wouldn't go to the forums complaining about SSL.
    I tried IE 11, here it worked fine.
    Updated Firefox (43.0.1). Seems to work fine here too.

So, it's something specific to TDP, specific to Chrome, but affects both Windows and Mac.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L