Thread: Does TSA Collect Tripods

Does TSA Collect Tripods

So I just spent ¥74945 for a nice new Gitzo 1555T from B&H for my trip to Japan.

At 14" folded it fits nicely in my sling bag, hidden nicely.

So the question, does TSA like to confiscate tripods at the airport when outbound boarding?

In the past with larger tripods I always put them in checked bags.

I don't know the regulations, but if it has covered, or reversible feet with snow spikes, then probably. Even without spikes, it could be considered usable as some sort of weapon. I'd pack it, rather than attempting carry-on, if I were you.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

TSA's list of acceptable items say that you can bring a tripod in carry on.

But then they throw this in to the list: "The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint."

I could go on a rant and make comparisons of the US government to the book "Animal Farm" and how the rules on the barn seem to change int he middle of the night.

But, I suppose I will just put it in the checked baggage and hope it and my clothes arrive.

I put my TQC-14 into checked luggage when I'm checking a suitcase. But several times I've packed it in a carryon hard case, and last month for the first time I carried it just strapped to the outside of my Lowepro Fastpack 250, on a round trip from Boston to Washington, D.C. I've never had any problems with bringing a tripod, and that's over ~15 domestic and probably ~25 international trips. I'm not sure it matters, but I do have Global Entry / PreCheck.

I have traveled many times in the last 24 months with my tripod - both large and small with no problem - even the one with spike feet w/ rubber slip on nubs.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Always check mine. To an extent, why not? Ok, if you aren’t checking bags, but I usually am.

I have traveled three times on domestic flights in the last fourteen months with my Gitzo series 2 Traveler tripod fastened to the exterior of my camera backpack with no issues whatsoever. On two international flights in the last nine months, I opted place my tripod in a checked bag to avoid having any problems. My tripod does have rubber feet if that makes a difference and I do not have TSA fast track or whatever they call it, I just stand in line with the general population.

Coming from Las Vegas two years ago a couple stopped and asked me was I really going to keep my tripod strapped to the outside of my camera bag during bag screening as we sttd in line. The two were amazed as I went right through with no problems. I learned they were both forced to "check" their tripods on trip they took just a few weeks prior (at the same airport).
    Scott