Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2018 - Image of the Week #18

It was really tough selecting a winner this week. Because there were a limited number of entries this week, I thought I'd provide my thoughts on each image because, if you're like me, you often wonder why your image wasn't chosen when you believed your submission was a serious contender (and there were definitely a few serious contenders this week).

Catching Air - The shot is very well timed for the peak of action. Unfortunately, with the subject and the water mostly shaded, the brighter rocks draw too much attention away from the [shaded] primary subjects.

Lesser Yellowlegs - I really like the bird's posture and the very clear reflection, but I wish it was a tighter shot so the detail in the bird's feathers was more apparent.

The Wise - I like the concept and overall look of the image, but the bright highlight on the left arm and on the spot on the sash are distracting from the otherwise great image.

Fishin buddy - With my first (and likely) only kid on the way, the "Awww" factor hit me pretty hard.

Starry Night - I really like this shot. I like the bluish lights set against the warmer light from the street lights. I like the desolation aspect of it, with the city clearly visible through the trees. It's not necessarily a shot I'm typically drawn to, but it was a top contender.

Natural - I like the subject's expression and I especially love the reflection in the sunglasses (I spent some time trying to visualize precisely what the reflection was). However, I'm not a huge fan of the black and white processing. I'd be curious to see how the color image came out and, if not better, to see what a different color grading might have looked like.

Something I never thought I'd see.... - Definitely interesting, but this one could also have benefitted from tighter framing as well as the snakes being fully lit by sunlight. However, if it were me, I'm not sure I would have gotten close enough to get the shot shown.

Dinner - I like the golden warmth of the light bathing the subject. The action captured is obvious. I think the image could have also benefited from a tighter framing, showing more detail and with the stick hidden outside the frame (or the part of it remaining in the frame cloned out).

And the winner...

Female Cardinal in mating plumage - The bird and perch are well-lit, and along with the creamy bokeh, lead to great background separation. There is a lot of detail to see in the feathers. I also like that the bird's eye lands very close to the intersection of the rule-of-thirds, and that it has a great catchlight.

Congrats Joel!

Nice write up and a great choice. Congrats Joel!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    Something I never thought I'd see.... - Definitely interesting, but this one could also have benefitted from tighter framing as well as the snakes being fully lit by sunlight. However, if it were me, I'm not sure I would have gotten close enough to get the shot shown.

Not the most cooperative of models. But we've all been there.....

Congrats Joel!
    ...and thanks Sean for taking time to critique each image. The reflection was the concrete floor in the hallway and also the models denim jacket sleeves. I considered the color version and you might see it here at a later date.

Congratulations to Joel, fantastic work.

I agree with Jerry, thank you Sean for the write up. I appreciate your constructive criticism and will try to use it when looking at my and others photos in the future.
    Scott

Thanks Sean and everyone ... I appreciate being picked as the submitted work is always so good.

"Yarro"

Yarro
    by Jamsus RaccolteFoto, su Flickr
    Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

Jamsus