Thread: Planning a trip to Monument Valley

Planning a trip to Monument Valley

Hey everyone. I'm planning our first family trip to monument valley and I'm seeking advice on places I should be sure to include on the trip. It will be part photography, but mostly family fun. Any advice on what all to see in the area? We'll be road tripping it from Texas.

Thanks in advance!
    -Wes

that sounds like a lovely trip. not sure how much time you have but zion national park, bryce national park, canyonlands national park and glen canyon rec area are both within a few hours of monument valley. map them out because they're in different directions.

and santa fe is a wonderful place to stop for a night, should be right on your way. on the outskirts of santa fe is an excellent folk park called el rancho de las golondrinas. they've brought in and restored several buildings and farmhouses from around the state. the houses have been situated like small villages over the huge acreage. it's been a long time since i was there, but we paid $5 each to get in and it took us all day to walk it.

Carlsbad Caverns, Roswell (check out the conspiracy theories at the UFO Museum).
    Carlsbad could kill a day if you wait for the bats, Roswell just an hour or so at the museum is enough.

I have always wanted to go to see the Painted Desert. It would be on my list. Not to far South from your destination.

Never been to Four Corners, never really wanted to, but it is on the way.

Out of your way probably but before they built the bridge, I went over Roosevelt Dam. I was more impressed with it than Hoover Dam. There is a beautiful Canyon drive that takes you in to Phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Never been to Four Corners, never really wanted to, but it is on the way.
    been there, don't bother. it's just a slab of pavement in the desert with overpriced native american market stands surrounding the area. i looked at a native american blanket there and it was made in taiwan. as for photos, it's really just a piece of concrete. there's no good background. and i'm not sure it's in the exact spot where the corners meet up.

If talking about road trips, I'd add White Sands National Monument onto the list if coming via I-10.

As for Monument Valley, it is on my wish list, but I've yet to do it. I do know that when I've looked into it, I plan on staying at "The View Hotel"

http://monumentvalleyview.com/

If you are going to keep driving past Monument Valley, Page, AZ has the Antelope Canyon (do upper and lower) and Horseshoe Bend (sunset). Sedona and Grand Canyon are also great.

But, in my mind, I'd make sure you do Monument Valley right. That is pretty far out there and looks amazing. Also, I've been using "Photographing xxx" for different regions, you might look up one for Northern AZ. Ok, just did, looks like Monument Valley would be in "Photographing the Southwest Version II." On Amazon, you can do the "Look Inside" feature and it actually shows you some of the pages for Monument Valley. I do not want to call these books amazing, but I would call them very helpful.

There soooo many cool spots. Some of which are best accessed with a guide w/ the right 4 wheel drive. Others are small to short walks.

BLM in Kanab (used to?) hand out day permits 10 each for north vs. south coyote butte for the next day - at 9 for north and 9:30 or 10 for south. Should get a guide for South Coyote it is a tough drive.

The slot canyons in Page are pretty cool and do them at very late morning and the Navajo guide will keep you on time the sun angle makes all the difference. Pretty family friendly.
    Last edited by Busted Knuckles; 05-18-2018 at 07:51 PM.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Thanks everyone for all of the good feedback. We are planning our routes now and will let you know where all we can make it too. I do agree that there are a lot of places to see so I don't want to over do it and turn our vacation into a mad rush.

Thanks again!