Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2018 - Image of the Week #21

first off to everyone, Great shots!, all of you brought something very awesome & creative.

Sean's looks like it's from a movie.

Jerry all I can say is 'Wow those eyes!'.

Jamsus I really like the mystery of your pic, what is this 'shady deal' about?.

Joel part of me wonders if you paid off the bird with seed to get an amazing shot like this!

Jayson the maestro of macro, beautiful and interesting as always.

Wesley the roses are truly lovely and colorful.

Busted I only got one look at 'dragons nest' before it was gone, but It was very cool, and the bromeliad look out of this world.

but I kept coming back to one photo....

this weeks winner is Joel with his red headed woodpecker!

Congrats Joel!

Thanks .... I always feel honored and a bit of pride to be picked because the submitted work is creatively diverse and the quality is high for our little weekly event.

PS : in the spirit of full disclosure, and I assumed everyone knows, I do use bird feeders as an attractant. I surround the feeders with perches strategically placed so the background is blurred out. So my bird images are a setup. I have posted images of my technique here in the past.

The birds are wild and of course may or may not even show up or perch in such a way as to make a good image.

If you need to change your winning choice I clearly understand
    Last edited by Joel Eade; 05-29-2018 at 12:01 PM.

Congrats Joel. Very nice shot. Your posts have been making me want to put up a bird feeder and a few perches in my backyard. My only fear is that more things to mow around will be a little annoying. :-)

Fantastic shot. I've seen the images you posted regarding the technique and am working towards trying it. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    Congrats Joel. Very nice shot. Your posts have been making me want to put up a bird feeder and a few perches in my backyard. My only fear is that more things to mow around will be a little annoying. :-)
    Thanks for all kind words everyone.

The back yard set up has literally been a saving grace for me. My job and other situations in my life have prohibited me from traveling very much so I have used my yard as a way to stay active in photography. I happen to live in an area with good variety of woodland and field birds. I decided to use what was available to make my photography as simple and productive as possible from home.

Sean, I hear you about the mowing .... it is a bit of a pain but I have my feeder platform and perches mounted in cheap Christmas tree holders so that I can move them around with ease. In a minute I can move them and proceed with mowing.

It's also rewarding to find out I might be inspiring other photographers to give it a try

Congrats Joel!