Thread: Question about settings when using EF 2x III extender

Question about settings when using EF 2x III extender

I know that image quality suffers with using EF 2x III extender, I was wondering if adjusting the sharpness (or other settings) in the camera would help compensate for the degradation? Or would it be better to adjust the RAW file in post processing? This is a question I have wanted an answer for and finally got motivated to ask it, rented the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II (coming Monday) and want to try my 2x III with it. Thanks in advance for your help.

Trent
    EOS R5 and EOS R with RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, Extender EF 2x III, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, EF 35mm f/1.2 IS USM, RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM, GORUCK GR-1 with TrekPak insert

Are you shooting jpg or RAW? Each RAW has a small jpg attached to it for rapid viewing on the back of the camera screen, for example. But, ultimately, a RAW file is not affected by "in camera" settlings. So, if you are shooting RAW, in camera adjustments have very little effect.

If shooting jpg in camera, then yes, tweaks in camera will adjust your final output.

As for the 2xIII with the 100-400 II, which camera body do you plan to use? With a 1.4x III extender, I know the 5DIII would AF with center point only at f/8, but several newer bodies will AF at multiple points. However, add the 2x III on, and that is actually now an 800 mm f/11 lens. I just checked, and my 5DIV would not AF with the 2x III 100-400 II combination.

However, if you shot MF with this combination, you may be able to compensate for some of the AF loss. Of course, IQ lost is never regained, but sharpening and playing with contrast a little would likely help the images. Too much and the photo can look processed. I know that I traveled with the 70-200 f/2.8 II with the 2x III and process those pictures to the point I was happy with them.

My experience is the same as with Kayaker ..... the loss of auto-focus will probably be a deal breaker for you but since it's a rental give it a try.....I am not very good at manual focus at high magnification.

The version III of the 2X converter can be used very successfully on f/4 or f/2.8 lenses.

With the 2X TC I can get very sharp RAW files from the following three lenses: 500mm f/4L, 300mm f/2.8L and the 70-200mm f/2.8L

I have seen plenty of very sharp images using it with the 400mm f/4L DO and the 600mm f/4L (I do not own either of these lenses)

If you need 800mm or more I would suggest you rent one of these to try out with the 2X TC

I suspect the 400mm f/2.8L would perform well too but I am mostly in to bird photography and it is not commonly used for birds.
    Last edited by Joel Eade; 07-29-2018 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Are you shooting jpg or RAW? Each RAW has a small jpg attached to it for rapid viewing on the back of the camera screen, for example. But, ultimately, a RAW file is not affected by "in camera" settlings. So, if you are shooting RAW, in camera adjustments have very little effect.

If shooting jpg in camera, then yes, tweaks in camera will adjust your final output.

As for the 2xIII with the 100-400 II, which camera body do you plan to use? With a 1.4x III extender, I know the 5DIII would AF with center point only at f/8, but several newer bodies will AF at multiple points. However, add the 2x III on, and that is actually now an 800 mm f/11 lens. I just checked, and my 5DIV would not AF with the 2x III 100-400 II combination.

However, if you shot MF with this combination, you may be able to compensate for some of the AF loss. Of course, IQ lost is never regained, but sharpening and playing with contrast a little would likely help the images. Too much and the photo can look processed. I know that I traveled with the 70-200 f/2.8 II with the 2x III and process those pictures to the point I was happy with them.
    Thanks for your reply. I have my camera, 7D II, set up to shoot both JPEG and RAW. I knew in camera adjustments wouldn't have any effect on the RAW, probably should have stated that. I usually do automatic processing on my RAW files using DxO OpticsPro 11 and am happy with the results. I will try manual tweaking of the images with either OpticsPro or ON1 Photo RAW. Interesting to hear that your 5D IV will not AF, you would think it would. I know my 7D II will, just don't know if it will be center point only or a certain number of points. Looks like I will be taking a little more time to process my RAW files. Thanks for your feedback.
    EOS R5 and EOS R with RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, Extender EF 2x III, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, EF 35mm f/1.2 IS USM, RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM, GORUCK GR-1 with TrekPak insert

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    My experience is the same as with Kayaker ..... the loss of auto-focus will probably be a deal breaker for you but since it's a rental give it a try.....I am not very good at manual focus at high magnification.

The version III of the 2X converter can be used very successfully on f/4 or f/2.8 lenses.

With the 2X TC I can get very sharp RAW files from the following three lenses: 500mm f/4L, 300mm f/2.8L and the 70-200mm f/2.8L

I have seen plenty of very sharp images using it with the 400mm f/4L DO and the 600mm f/4L (I do not own either of these lenses)

If you need 800mm or more I would suggest you rent one of these to try out with the 2X TC

I suspect the 400mm f/2.8L would perform well too but I am mostly in to bird photography and it is not commonly used for birds.
    Thanks for your reply. I don't have much experience with manual focus at all let alone at high magnification, so this will be fun to try. I have used the 2x converter on my 70-200mm f/2.8 IS L II and love the reach it gives me. I can get decent shots with that combo. 400mm is more than enough for the shooting I do. Looking forward to trying a moon shot at 800mm providing the night is clear. I'll probably shoot at 400mm while I have it, just want to try it with the 2x converter. I am going to be trying my hand at shooting birds, which I have never done before, so it should be an interesting week. Thanks for the feedback.

You should be able to focus with Live View, if manual proves tricky. The contrast detect AF doesn't care what f stop the lens is.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    You should be able to focus with Live View, if manual proves tricky. The contrast detect AF doesn't care what f stop the lens is.
    Good info to know, thanks.