Thread: Question about settings when using EF 2x III extender

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My experience is the same as with Kayaker ..... the loss of auto-focus will probably be a deal breaker for you but since it's a rental give it a try.....I am not very good at manual focus at high magnification.

The version III of the 2X converter can be used very successfully on f/4 or f/2.8 lenses.

With the 2X TC I can get very sharp RAW files from the following three lenses: 500mm f/4L, 300mm f/2.8L and the 70-200mm f/2.8L

I have seen plenty of very sharp images using it with the 400mm f/4L DO and the 600mm f/4L (I do not own either of these lenses)

If you need 800mm or more I would suggest you rent one of these to try out with the 2X TC

I suspect the 400mm f/2.8L would perform well too but I am mostly in to bird photography and it is not commonly used for birds.
    Last edited by Joel Eade; 07-29-2018 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    My experience is the same as with Kayaker ..... the loss of auto-focus will probably be a deal breaker for you but since it's a rental give it a try.....I am not very good at manual focus at high magnification.

The version III of the 2X converter can be used very successfully on f/4 or f/2.8 lenses.

With the 2X TC I can get very sharp RAW files from the following three lenses: 500mm f/4L, 300mm f/2.8L and the 70-200mm f/2.8L

I have seen plenty of very sharp images using it with the 400mm f/4L DO and the 600mm f/4L (I do not own either of these lenses)

If you need 800mm or more I would suggest you rent one of these to try out with the 2X TC

I suspect the 400mm f/2.8L would perform well too but I am mostly in to bird photography and it is not commonly used for birds.
    Thanks for your reply. I don't have much experience with manual focus at all let alone at high magnification, so this will be fun to try. I have used the 2x converter on my 70-200mm f/2.8 IS L II and love the reach it gives me. I can get decent shots with that combo. 400mm is more than enough for the shooting I do. Looking forward to trying a moon shot at 800mm providing the night is clear. I'll probably shoot at 400mm while I have it, just want to try it with the 2x converter. I am going to be trying my hand at shooting birds, which I have never done before, so it should be an interesting week. Thanks for the feedback.
    EOS R5 and EOS R with RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, Extender EF 2x III, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, EF 35mm f/1.2 IS USM, RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM, GORUCK GR-1 with TrekPak insert