Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TSA and your photography gears

TSA and your photography gears

Hi guys,

Just want to ask for your tips and experience on going through TSA security check with your photography gears. The last time I traveled with my gears I could leave everything in the camera bag. I read that the rules changed last year and now you would need to remove all your gears and place them in bins. I will be flying to Hawaii from LAX with just my 1DX, 24-70 f/2.8 II and an extra battery, all packed in a Lowepro toploader.

Thanks for tips guys!

Hey Nate,

I remember when this came out about a year ago, people would have to remove all electronic devices larger than a cell phone. The concern was this would include photography equipment. Of course, this could vary from airport to airport and agent to agent (I am looking at you Madrid Spain who confiscated my photography multi-tool when all other security screeners haven't even said a word).

But I am a pretty frequent flyer. I do have TSA PreCheck. I have never been asked to take any photography gear out of my bag whether I go through the regular or TSA Precheck lines. Nor have I ever seen anyone having to take their cameras out of bags. Simply put, I just have not seen this concern materialize.

That said, I do recommend TSA precheck. It is supposed to help with photography, but it can also be a life saver at busy airports. Most of the time it will save you a few minutes and some hassle (shoes stay on, etc). But, then there are times when the times when the line is crazy long for the regular screening and the TSA PreCheck line is a few people deep. And, each time coming back from Hawaii, I remember some long security lines, so I'd give it some thought.

Enjoy Hawaii!
    Brant

Hi Brant,

Thanks for the tips/input. I'd get TSA PreCheck in a heart beat if I travel a lot, I only flight once every few years, and plus this trip I'll be traveling with 18 of my family members so leaving them behind including my son and wife won't look very good . Just talked to a few people I know who traveled recently, they told me that they didn't have to take anything out of their camera bag or see anyone doing it. So hopefully it'll be the same for me this weekend.

Nate

That is consistent with what I've seen and experienced. I think they were really targeting iPads/Kindles with the "all electronic devices larger than a cell phone."

I will say, I have had my camera bag tested for explosive residue about 5 times, which is just them wiping it down with a small towel and running a quick analysis on that towel. So they are paying attention.

When I went to Tokyo earlier this year, I did indeed have to remove the camera from the bag as we went through.
    No lenses, just the camera.
    This was different than the previous times I flew.

Thanks guys for the replies,

Brant, when they tested for explosive residue did they open your bag?

HD, I'll be keeping my lens mounted on the camera, did you have to remove the lens from the camera for them to check?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen View Post
    Brant, when they tested for explosive residue did they open your bag?
    I'd say about half the time, yes. They have you walk to an area toward the back of the screening area, lay the bag flat, ask if there are any sharp objects, etc. Then they wipe either the outside with the cloth or they did a couple of times open the bag and have the cloth touch a couple of the lenses, etc.

No, I just pulled it with the lens out of the case and they would run it through.

I have had the explosive wipes for my hands but never for my gear.

Thanks guys for the replies, when it comes to traveling with gears I have very little experience so I'm very nervous. I know what I'm bringing is so little comparing to you guys.

Last summer went to Norway/England and all that was done was pull and separate rifle through the cameras & lenses.

Haven't done a large scale trip - but will be trying in ...... September..... Maybe October.... Work has been really demanding
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911