Thread: Bunch of new stuff

Bunch of new stuff

A bunch of new stuff, all non-Canon, was announced yesterday.

I am probably most interested in a the Mavic Pro 2.0. I think a couple of people have drones, any impressions? I wish I could say I have time, but I have something like one open weekend between now and November. In other words, I am not even getting much time to play with the gear I bought earlier this year much less getting something new. That said, I've seen some great drone pictures and I can see how it would be fun.

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/...spx?News=27443

Then, of course, the much hyped Nikon D6/D7 were announced along with 3 "Z" lenses:

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/...spx?News=27440
    https://www.the-digital-picture.com/...spx?News=27439

So far, I like Thom Hogan's list of pro/con's of the new systems:
    https://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews...ion-begin.html

Personally, I am very happy with my Canon kit and am in far too deep to even really consider these seriously. But it is fun to see new technology. People have been talking about mirrorless so long it is also interesting to see the manifestation. Going through the classic pro/con lists of mirrorless:
    • Size: It is smaller, about the size of a Rebel.
      • But the lenses are really about the same size as the Canon equivalents.
      • So, the overall system, a bit smaller. Personal preference comes into play here if that difference means something to you.

• Weight: Does weight less, again, similar to a rebel (585 g z7 vs 532 g for the T7i). The 6DII would be 765 g (I am lifting these from "camerasize.com" and includes memory card and battery).
      • The lenses again, the 24-70 f/4 is 100 g lighter than Canon's "L" (so we still need to see how good it is), but the Z-35 f/1.8 is a bit heavier than the Canon 35 f/2, and the Z-50 f/1.8 is ~250 g heavier than the Canon 50 f/1.8, but ~130 g lighter than the Tamron 45 f/1.8

• FPS....Thom Hogan boils the Z6 down to a 9 fps and the Z7 to 5.5 fps. We really haven't seen the massive fps advantage yet.
    • No need for AF microadjustment. This is just true. There is no need to correlate two different systems.
    • Cost. Not really seeing a savings, but that gets into manufacturer cost strategies.
    • Silent shooting. This is becoming somewhat real. I've seen several reports of photographers in certain situations preferring the quieter action of mirrorless.

Overall, only the size, when compared to FF, is all that different. But adding a lens it really becomes negligible.

The classic cons:
    • EVF...we'll see. Some people seem to love EVFs. I am not one of those people. They have a long ways to go before I even think about giving up my OVF.
    • Battery life. Yep. rated at 300 shots. Sony recently got better, but still not in the DSLR range.
    • AF speed accuracy. We'll see. Sony seems to be getting good. Too soon to tell with the Nikons
    • A con I had never thought of, but seems to be coming true is increased CA with shorter flange distances. I would think focal point is what would matter (and that wouldn't change between systems), but I've seen this referenced and if you look at any of Bryan's Sony lens review, there is CA compared to the equivalent Canon lens. EF flange distance is 45 mm, mirrorless tends to be around 18 mm. Maybe it is better to have more space between the last element and sensor for CA. Not sure.

Look at the horizontal lines in the center image:
    https://www.the-digital-picture.com/...mp=0&APIComp=0

So, now that mirrorless cameras are rolling out, my generally opinion has not changed much. I vastly prefer OVFs, and then other benefits seem a bit marginal for me, but there will be people where it matters.

Then, Nikon also introduced a 500 f/5.6 "Frensel" lens. Too me, this is essentially equivalent to a 400 f/4 DO II with a 1.4x TC, but still, that is a great option to have in Nikonland.

So, lots of new stuff. The only thing that has a chance of landing in my bag is a drone...sometime in the future when I have time to play with it.

Canon usually follows.
    Maybe in the next month or so we will see Canon's version of a FF released.

A 45.7 mp FF body with a burst of 9fps.
    How could you not see an advantage in having a continuous burst at 5.5fps with no buffer stop? In RAW though?
    Just like the M series which adapts to EF lenses, they have an adapter as well.
    Smaller Z lenses without the adapter.
    It is an interesting camera.

Waiting on Canon now.

This link popped up in a newsfeed: https://petapixel.com/2018/07/05/can...-works-report/

What I'm hoping for is compatibility with existing EF lenses. I'm still in the market for a full-frame, so this could be another option.
    EOS R5 and EOS R with RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, Extender EF 2x III, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, EF 35mm f/1.2 IS USM, RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM, GORUCK GR-1 with TrekPak insert

The rumor is a 30.4 mp camera as the highest mp. I think it has limited credibility at this point.

Canon has already released a body with over 50mp.
    I would think they would match or exceed the Nikon's 45.7 mp for their top tier release.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    What I'm hoping for is compatibility with existing EF lenses. I'm still in the market for a full-frame, so this could be another option.
    Certainly, this would be another option. And, also, it will certainly either have EF lenses directly mounted to it or will have a solid adapter. So, EF lenses should still work.

Just watched a few more videos (DPR and Kai were impressed, the Northrups, pretty disappointed, mostly with AF system, but also IBIS and a few other things).

Looking at it in peoples hands, I have to say, I like the look of the size of it.

As for Canon, rumors are two models coming, but it will be interesting how they differentiate. I think the rumors are more noise at this point, but the first point of rumored differentiation would be an EF mount vs a new mount. Reason for the new mount would be a shorter flange distance. EF has all the electronics, but is designed around having a mirror box and has a flange distance of 44 mm. The new Nikon Z is 16 mm, the Canon M and Sony's are 18 mm. So, shortening the flange distance is where some of the "size" difference comes into play, but then you still want a nice hand grip, so how far really do you want to go back?

But any way, potential for different mounts, "pro" vs "prosumer" and then MPs are all ways to differentiate. It is actually a bit difficult to blend all those together into two cameras. But, perhaps a "professional" 45-60 MP camera in an EF mount and a "prosumer" 24-28 MP camera in a new mount. That would be my current guess based on rumors. By professional, better build quality, weather sealing, and a few features. Prosumer, think 6DII/80D build quality.

The rumors are all over the place, but do seem to point to some sort of announcement (development or actual) in the next 6-8 months. Maybe as early as a development announcement next month.

Personally, I am a bit apprehensive about first generation bodies of "new" products. Granted, I think Canon has been refining the mirrorless with the M series, so I expect Canon's first generation FF mirrorless to be good. But still, there could be kinks. Point being, if you want FF, 5DIV, 5DIII, 6DII....these are proven good cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    This link popped up in a newsfeed: https://petapixel.com/2018/07/05/can...-works-report/

The extinction of the mirror is long, long over due. Kayaker and me where shooting at the Merritt Island Refuge, I had rented a sony a6500 (yes I know it is APC).

My 1dx at 12 vs. the sony at 11 fps. Everyone within 50 yards knew when the 1dx went off.... no one more than a couple of feet knew when the sony went off.

I would think effectively silent, no viewfinder blackout would be a "mission critical" aspect of a pro body. Same thing with sports - sure there might be a stutter but it is sooo much better than the mirror slapping up and down.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

The other thing some folks might be missing is that with the short flange distance, both could adapt to the others legacy lenses fairly easily.

Some one say Nikon 500 f5.6???

fun to ponder
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911