Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RF, EOS R and new Tele Lenses

RF, EOS R and new Tele Lenses

Has the forum really declined to the point that there is not even one post about the new release?

It appears that with the release of the R and the 28-70mm F/2.0, Canon has outlined the path for the eventual movement from DSLR's to mirrorless.

"Initial testing within Canon has shown this new lens to produce better optical image quality and sharpness over similar focal length EF-series lenses, including the extremely popular and highly regarded EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM."

Those of us who look for the highest IQ will eventually be enticed to willfully migrate. I am sure that we see similar releases in the near future.

It also appears to me that Canon has set out to capture the Professional end of the spectrum with the release. Perhaps establish it's mirrorless with the Pro's and the consumer grade will fall in line.

For me though this isn't the body that will entice me.

The 600mm, losses 1.9 lbs and goes to 5 stops. This is huge. Will there be a sacrifice in build quality to loose the weight? That is the question I would ask.

Another question to answer, how well will the adaptor's work? Will there be IQ loss? Will there be penalties?

I don't think this is their high-end full-frame mirrorless... It's just $2299, which is nothing like the price of a 1DXmkII, despite this requiring a significant engineering investment for the new mount, body, and glass. I think this is a declaration of intent more than anything.

As someone mentioned in the news comments, we now have two incompatible EOS Mirrorless lenses standards, M, and RF. I'm curious if the M mount will be positioned like an EF-S, and M will remain as a cheaper crop-mirrorless option, and future crop bodies will be able to take RF or M lenses. If you see yourself upgrading to a full-frame in the future, you can pre-invest in the RF lenses for you M body. If they remain completely separate, it would suck.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    I don't think this is their high-end full-frame mirrorless... It's just $2299
    You are right, it is not.

The 28-70mm F/2.0 is a serious lens though.

LOTS of news. I am on vacation and am focusing on that.

The 600 III is lighter than the 500 II. Amazing. Throw in the IS improvements. Glad that lens is out there. I will say the price jumped to $12,999. So it is not for the faint of heart.

The R system. I am impressed. I really like a lot of what Canon has done control on lens, touch bar, ergonomics, adapters, etc). If I was new to FF, I’d be tempted. But, as Canon does, it is situated as indicated by its price point. Somewhere between the 6DII and 5DIV. The reported AF speed, FPS, weather sealing being the biggest issues at this time (waiting in reviews). But in terms of what Canon will eventually bring, I am impressed.

R lenses. Yeah, those are some big words saying the 28-70 f/2 is better than the 24-70 II. Good. Other lenses look solid and promising for the future. Issues I am seeing discussed include focus by wire and some appear to be nano USM. As I am not buying any of these, it’ll be interesting to see how this plays out. If improved over previous generations or still limiting.

RF vs EF-m. Just weird. Next to impossible to have a RF to EF-m adapter. So EOS m will be able to adapt EF lenses, but not RF. Eventually, either the M stands on its own (they did just announce a new higher end lens) or dies off. It isn’t clear to me what Canon has decided in terms of long term plans. Support 4 lens mounts? Support less than 4? Maybe Canon’s plan is to let market will eventually decide. So they don’t actually have a firm plan. But, I believe in the gateway camera philosophy, and it is really odd that EF-m cannot overlap and thus be be a gateway to the R system. Makes me wonder if a less expensive crop R body is on the horizon along with higher end bodies. So the less expensive R is the gateway to the FF R bodies.

Good stuff.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 09-05-2018 at 07:24 PM.

Maybe I missed this in the press release, but what is the effect of putting an EF-S lens on the new mount? Does anyone know if the sensor has a crop mode?

I'm loving my M for backpacking. I consider the EVF and battery life to be compromises, but the weight savings and size reduction are phenomenal. CPL/ND filters are very affordable, and the world of tiny tripods opens up. I initially thought about switching to a FF mirrorless system until I realized I was adding almost all of the weight and size back with FF compatible lenses. I now use my 6D for shorter hikes, family/portraits, or for when I have a car (national parks etc.), and am using my M for when I am on the go/on foot for long distances.

No doubt that the market is moving this way, and the 28-70 f2 sounds incredible, but I don't see giving up my two camera system any time soon. That said, wondering how compact of a system one could create with this new mount. None of the new lenses look particularly small. While not M small, I could see a viable travel/backpacking EF-S setup.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickH View Post
    Maybe I missed this in the press release, but what is the effect of putting an EF-S lens on the new mount? Does anyone know if the sensor has a crop mode?

That said, wondering how compact of a system one could create with this new mount. None of the new lenses look particularly small. While not M small, I could see a viable travel/backpacking EF-S setup.
    Yes, it has a crop mode. So you could do a EFs lens on it. You drop down to something like 11-12 MP, but that is still a nice base image size.

I have yet to see a thing that makes me think mirrorless is more than a very slight gain in size weight. A few 100 grams. Which is not much for most uses. About the weight of my L bracket.

I think this is just another gradation. Something like phone<G7x2<EOS M<Rebel~R series<FF DSLR <medium format. Increases in size, IQ and cost. Pick which suits your purpose.

Grant, there is some new cool tech in the R.

There is still the 1.7x crop for 4K video. Perhaps the same/similar crop is applied when using the EF-s adapter.

What do you gain, except a few hundred grams? They did mention the world's fastest AF, and having something like over 5000 focus points, focus at f/11. That's all new.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Weight seems to be a secondary goal for Canon with the R.
    Exploiting the new mount seems to be the priority they are pointing toward.
    With the release of the 28-70 and its massive weight that indicates to me they are trying to move the Pro's and Advanced Amateur to mirrorless with a new level of IQ and performance.

The image I saw made it seem like 4K and efs crop were either the same or remarkably similar. So, not a bad option for video, just use efs lenses if you really want 4K.

Yeah, is is a bit conspicuous that there is 1 smallish lens at release.

I’ve often question why “mirrorless” was promoted as being more cost effective. Sure, mirrorboxes cost something, but surely an EVF is something significant as well. Ready a bit by Thom Hogan when the Nikon Z series was announced, it finally made sense. He stated that DSLRs were 55% (D5) made by automated manufacturing, the Z series 76% (Z7).

If Canon is ballpark the same, sure, this is about long term cost control. They want to eventually move people on over.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 09-05-2018 at 09:41 PM.

The general online sentiment appears to be pitchforks from what I've read!

Dave